Geletin question - in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
Is there any reason I couldn't throw the bit of water and disolved geletin into the primary, stir that up a tad and let sit a few days and then rack off there? I normally don't do a secondary unless it's a big beer I want to age but I heard most people saying they rack to secondary with the geletin then rack off that into bottling or keg.

Thanks!

I don't know about bottling, but there's no reason not to use gelatin in the primary if you keg. However, you don't want to stir it. You'll end up stirring up the trub and defeat the purpose of the finings. There's another way to use gelatin without a secondary, though; I just add mine to the keg and rack on top of it. By the time it's carbonated and you pull off the first 1/2 pint, it'll be crystal clear.

Does the geletin just stay in the keg or does it get pulled off in the first pint or so?

It collects at the bottom along with the yeast and whatnot and forms kind of a trub slime thing. Looks kind of nasty, but it stays put while you're drinking the keg and cleans right out with an Oxyclean / PBW soak.

Back