Gelatin Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pangea

Reaction score
Used the search function, but cant find the answer I want. Apologies in advance for bringing up a commonly discussed topic. 1st time using gelatin.

I'm brewing a Kolsch that's been in the primary for nearly 4 weeks now. I got some gelatin from the LHBS and followed forum instructions - boiled 1/2 cup water - cooled to about 170 F - added a heavy 1 tbsp gelatin - stirred until all dissolved (with sanitized stirrer) - cooled further until about 100F - and ended up with a completely clear solution that I poured straight into my primary. I stirred it up and let it sit at ferment temp, 60 F for a day. Then I dropped the temp until I was at 34 F, about 1.5 days after starting to crash cool. It's been at 34 F for 2 days now and I added the gelatin nearly 4 days ago. The beer is still not clear. It looks pretty cloudy still. (I'm judging clarity by shining a flashlight through the wall of the carboy and looking down from above - looks as cloudy as it did before I added gelatin and crash cooled).

Is this normal? My impression is that it should have cleared very rapidly. Does it take more than a few days for the gelatin to take effect?

Thanks.

Pangea

Since there have been quite a few views and no responses, let me rephrase my question:

Has anyone added gelatin where it was still cloudy after 3 or 4 days and then it cleared eventually?

Yes Pangea... I swear you are my bizzaro twin. I have brewed a Kölsch as well, and am having the EXACT SAME THING HAPPENING TO ME!!! Irish moss in boil, two weeks in the primary, then transferred to secondary and cooled 5 degrees/day down to 35. It has been between 32-35 for 3 weeks now. A little over a week ago I added half a packet of knox gelatin to the cold beer, and while it has cleared a little there is still a cloudiness to it. Before adding the gelatin we even dropped the temp to 32 degrees for 24 hours... nothing. This too, was my first time trying the gelatin.

I will be anxious to see what kind of results we both get. Unfortunately I have to bottle on Friday so the beer will be ready for a competition in time.

When you added the gelatin, did you hydrate it in hot water first? I've had good success with 1/2 pk of gelatin to 1 cup of hot water. I dissolve it completely and let it cool to room temp then slowly stir it in to my secondary. Give a week and bottle and its great.

Used the search function, but cant find the answer I want. Apologies in advance for bringing up a commonly discussed topic. 1st time using gelatin.

I'm brewing a Kolsch that's been in the primary for nearly 4 weeks now. I got some gelatin from the LHBS and followed forum instructions - boiled 1/2 cup water - cooled to about 170 F - added a heavy 1 tbsp gelatin - stirred until all dissolved (with sanitized stirrer) - cooled further until about 100F - and ended up with a completely clear solution that I poured straight into my primary. I stirred it up and let it sit at ferment temp, 60 F for a day. Then I dropped the temp until I was at 34 F, about 1.5 days after starting to crash cool. It's been at 34 F for 2 days now and I added the gelatin nearly 4 days ago. The beer is still not clear. It looks pretty cloudy still. (I'm judging clarity by shining a flashlight through the wall of the carboy and looking down from above - looks as cloudy as it did before I added gelatin and crash cooled).

Is this normal? My impression is that it should have cleared very rapidly. Does it take more than a few days for the gelatin to take effect?

Thanks.

Pangea

if i'm reading this correctly, you stirred up all the junk in your primary after adding the gelatin? this is the likely cause of your problems.

let the trub settle back down (might take a week or so) and if it's not real clear after that, try the gelatin again (without stirring). i suspect that it won't clear completely this time because your gelatin will be bound up with all the macroscopic trub that you stirred up.

good luck.

When you added the gelatin, did you hydrate it in hot water first? I've had good success with 1/2 pk of gelatin to 1 cup of hot water. I dissolve it completely and let it cool to room temp then slowly stir it in to my secondary. Give a week and bottle and its great.

I dissolved completely before adding to the primary. It wasn't at room temp, more like 100 F or so.

if i'm reading this correctly, you stirred up all the junk in your primary after adding the gelatin? this is the likely cause of your problems.

let the trub settle back down (might take a week or so) and if it's not real clear after that, try the gelatin again (without stirring). i suspect that it won't clear completely this time because your gelatin will be bound up with all the macroscopic trub that you stirred up.

good luck.

I didn't really stir it up that agressively. It was just a few swirls from the top. I definitely didn't see any trub getting kicked up from the stirring. It all appeared to stay on the bottom.

I put 1/2 packet of knox gelatin in 1 cup of water and dissolved completely. I did NOT stir any of the beer around - just poured on top.

I usually add the gelatin mixture to the secondary 3-4 days before I crash cool....(with no swirl...). I then crash cool for 3-4 days and it usually works great. Exception was the Kolsch I brewed....took about 3 weeks in the keg...in the keggerator for it to start to clear up...... Leave it in the fridge for a while....it'll clear....

Thanks.

Pangea

Give it some more time, it may yet clear. My experience with gelatin finings is that they work in a couple of days. A couple of points: I do not agree with the instructions you received. Gelatin should be dissolved in cold water and then heated to pasteurization temperature. Second, the beer should be cold before you add the gelatin. Using these techniques I have always had both good and quick results using gelatin finings. :tank:

Give it some more time, it may yet clear. My experience with gelatin finings is that they work in a couple of days. A couple of points: I do not agree with the instructions you received. Gelatin should be dissolved in cold water and then heated to pasteurization temperature. Second, the beer should be cold before you add the gelatin. Using these techniques I have always had both good and quick results using gelatin finings. :tank:

I agree with BigEd.

"Bloom" the gelatin in room temp water (add gelatin and let sit for 20 minutes before heating). I use 1 tbsp gelatin to 1 cup water. Heat to 180F for 10 minutes. Cool and pitch into chilled beer. My procedure is to rack from primary (4 weeks) to secondary and cold crash to 31F, lager for about 2 weeks then transfer to keg and add gelatin if necessary. Hook up the CO2 and let it and the gelatin do their thing for 7 days.

I haven't tried it in a kolsch. But, I usually add about a Tablespoon of gelatin to a cup of cool water and stir, and stir, and stir....

Then heat it to about 170 F. l then let it cool with a lid on the pot. I usually just pour it gently into the top of the secondary at room temp. A couple of days later I put the carboy into the fridge to cold crash it and then keg.

It's worked like a charm for me every time.

I'm planning on using gelatin in my next beer. It looks like there is some differing opinions on how to prepare the gelatin. I don't normally use a secondary any more but I think I'm going to rack to secondary and add it.

A question to anyone who has had success with gelatin - When you add the gelatin, does it create large flocs like you'd see similar to cold break from adding irish moss or whirlfloc? You know, the kind that float around and you can tell without a doubt that those are solids that will settle out?

Or does it just gradually form a pile at the bottom and you never really see large flocs in solution?

A question to anyone who has had success with gelatin - When you add the gelatin, does it create large flocs like you'd see similar to cold break from adding irish moss or whirlfloc? You know, the kind that float around and you can tell without a doubt that those are solids that will settle out?

Or does it just gradually form a pile at the bottom and you never really see large flocs in solution?

If it's boiled and dissolved, I don't believe you should see anything.

In my opinion the best way to add it is to an empty secondary carboy just before you're ready to rack (after fermentation is complete in the primary). Then rack from your primary to your secondary on top of the gelatin liquid. This should mix it up evenly. Clearing is the purpose of secondary.

Back