Gelatin hardened

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
I was about to use gelatin for the first time. I read onhere to dump the pack in warm water and let sit for 10 min. Then get it to 170* then cool it and dump it in the ber.

I cooled it and it turned really thick. Like soft serve ice cream. Is that correct? Or did I do something wrong.

should i make more and not let it get as hot?

if did it harden because i got it too cold?
i had it in an ice bath for 10 min.

I just used it for a comp for the first time. Many say one pack is to much for a single keg so I split a pack between two kegs. I brought a pint of water to a boil, just for a few seconds, killed the heat and added the gelatin around 160-165, let "bloom" or whatever for 15 minutes, gave a quick stir and split between the kegs. I immediately racked right on top of it. It worked great.

_

so by chilling it so much i screwed thing up? just let it cool down from 170 at room temp for like 15 min?

I was about to use gelatin for the first time. I read onhere to dump the pack in warm water and let sit for 10 min. Then get it to 170* then cool it and dump it in the ber.

I cooled it and it turned really thick. Like soft serve ice cream. Is that correct? Or did I do something wrong.

You got it too hot. If you get gelatin that hot you make jello :)

Boil the water (thus killing any nasties in it), let it cool a bit, stir in the gelatin, let it bloom 10 mins or so, stir, add it to your beer. No need to stir it into the beer, just pour it in and let it alone for a couple days. It will attract the yeast (and anything else still floating in your beer) and form larger clumps that flocculate faster than they would without the gelatin.

I rack my cold crashed beer into a "bright tank" keg with gelatin and then later move the beer to the serving keg. Does anyone know how long long I need to keep the beer on the gelatin? I want to move this one quickly, so I was think about 24 hours or so, but that may be too short?

In the batches I've used gelatin on it was 2-3 days for the beer to clear in the carboy. After 24 hours there was a little clearing, but after 72 I could see the life line in my palm through the beer in the carboy.

I'd leave the gelatin in it for 3 days. Just my opinion :)

i had problem with gelatin my first time and someone gave me this advice. never fails.

1/2 to 1 teaspoon (1/8 t/gallon) is recommended per 5 gallons. You should not see any sign of it in the fermentor, other than the stuff magically precipitating out. I put the gelatin in a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup, add cold water slowly while pressing the water through it w/ a spoon, probably about 1/4 c total. Let sit for an hour. Boil 1.5 cup water in micowave in another 2 c pyrex. Let sit for a few minutes to cool a bit, then stir slowly into gelatin/water, trying to dissolve any remaining chunks. let cool a bit more and gently stir into fermenter. The colder it is the better it works.

Latest posts

Back