G'day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piggy01

Reaction score
G'day BEER LOVERS, I'm Piggy from Melbourne and I've been brewing beer for 25 years. I have recently purchased a 155 liter STAINLESS STEEL CONICAL FERMENTER and I'm gonna start harvesting the yeast (SAFALE S-23) and wanna try some new recipes, I make my beer from an extract but hope to one day try and do a FULL MASH BREW, have any of you peeps harvested yeast before? does anyone here use a LARGE conical fermenter? thanks for reading.
Piggy

Bom dia, and welcome from Western Queensland! That's a big conical. I make Brew in a Bag (BIAB) all grain batches and love it. I usually only do 9 L at a time though. Lots of info on this site about yeast harvesting, yeast rinsing, yeast slants etc.

Dig in and enjoy.

Hello from the Pacific Northwest! The beer I have in primary downstairs was pitched with the yeast from the beer I now have in my secondary! I brew all glass, and I have three 5-gallon carboys. I'm no expert at washing, I just watched a video on YouTube and gave it a shot. No sanitizing tertiary vessels, no refrigeration, low risk of infection.
I racked one beer to secondary and locked it up.
I brought the old primary carboy upstairs, hit it with some clean water, swished it, and laid the carboy on its side, propped by towels.
I boiled a new wort, cooled it, transferred it to primary, aerated, and dumped the top yeast layer from the first vessel right into the new beer. The fermentation is crazy active. It was originally a double-pitch of San Diego Super Yeast. Cost me like $18 USD. Better believe I'm learning how to harvest at that cost. I'm going to continue to re-pitch until I sense something funny, and then I was going to go a bit cheaper with the next round, either US-05 or Bry-97.

On the topic of all-grain, I was planning to begin that on my next batch, coincidentally. Since I'm brewing five-gallon batches, that's going to be easy. What kind of vessel are you going to mash in? How are you boiling??
Are you brewing 155-liter batches?? :drunk: :cross: I'm so envious!

Hi Brad, it's taken me 25 years to get my BIG ARSE FERMENTER and I've only done 2 x 7 can brews in it, I currently have a 155 litre bath of TOMATO PASTE WASH in it for my spirit production. I will probably begin my ALL GRAIN BREWING after my shed extension is done, it'll be rebuilt, insulated and plastered and designed to accommodate all the gear needed to do ALL GRAIN BREWING, at that time I will be seeking advise on the best way to do it.
Piggy

Back