Gassy Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srm277

Reaction score
:rockin:Alright, i finished my first batch and i made a new castle brown ale clone recipe, added more malt extract to make it more fun, bottled it and all. I had the problem like i guess all beginers that i messed it up, nope tastes really good....the problem is it makes who ever drinks it gassy, lol. I call it Sir Gas-A-Lot beer. Im curious why it does that, or the 2 people, 2 guys, that drank it just had gas. It was only off of one beer to.
Ive had 2 beers of it so far, the first i drank after 7 days and it was good, the 2nd i had it after about 12-14 bottled days and its really good. No problems with it just curious why.

Also i have a batch sitting in my secondary fermenter now for 4 days after in primary for about 2 weeks, and a new batch in my primary now for 4 days

i cant wait to try the 2nd batch cuz i used the same recipe with improvements cuz of knowing better what im doing, i just have to empty out those bottles to refill them, its a hard job but somebody needs to do it. :rockin::mug:

Some people don't handle a lot of fresh yeast very well, hence the gas. Most people will get used to it and out-gas less, but some people never will.

LOL. I'm new to it all too and wondered that same thing after we tried our new beer. Gas didn't even explain it, it was awful at times!

Turns out, it's the yeast that makes it in your beer that then makes it into your body. Since we don't filter out the yeast (like the big brew houses) and we instead bottle age our beer we have gas problems.

Some say your body will get used to it. Others still have the problem. I just open the window now when I drink.

makes alot of sense, for my first batch i used dry yeast and it really never worked, so i added another package of yeast

my 2nd 2 batched i used the wet tube yeast, thats funny though. Now i will have to drink my first batch near people i can care less for, will make it for a better night without them around me, lol

Actually, if your first package of yeast never worked, then that means that it wasn't reproducing in your beer. Adding two packages won't result in much more yeast than one, since the yeast like to reproduce until they are at a concentration of about 50 million cells per mililiter if I remember correctly.

not to start a pit-fight here - but it's probably not the yeast....it's the unfermented complex sugar molecules that are, well, causing a little more tuba playing in the band (if you know what I mean).

At least, that's the best I can come up with - everyone blames the yeast - but it's likely some loooooooong sugar chains in your beer that didn't get broken down...

I like that theory. I have a cast iron stomach so there isn't much that messes with me "tuba"-wise, but wouldn't those same long chain sugars be in commercial brews that have the yeast filtered? The general consensus seems to be that homebrew makes for more cheese-cutting than commercial beers, and the most obvious difference to me is the filtration, not the unfermented sugars.

I think there is a bit more to this. The first bottle was green so it's gonna be gassy as the yeast hasn't dropped out....
Yes could also be the sugars, dex dme, cane sugar? what did you use?
Did you add finings? Some people add isinglass or gelatin, this causes the yeast to clump up and drop out.. kinda like hippies on day 2 at woodstock, it all happens in the fermenter and the yeast payload in the bottles can be reduced. It may mean the bottles carb up a little slower but maybe the yeast count will be less in total.
Also chill your brews for a wile before drinking, it causes the yeast to fall out.
Next, decant to a jug and make sure you don't get any bottle trub in with the beer.

All these will help, but if someone complains about the gas, change your friends

my witbier gave me gas till about the last 1/4 of the keg, not sure if it was all the yeast at the bottom of the keg or if I got used to it.

The general consensus seems to be that homebrew makes for more cheese-cutting than commercial beers, and the most obvious difference to me is the filtration, not the unfermented sugars.

don't forget pasteurization and other processing - lots of heat tends to break down complex sugars.

When you eat a ton of chili with beans you're not tooting because of yeast, right? :D

there's a bunch of threads on here about it - if you can find the right words to search for (gas is a hard one because of all the threads about CO2, not, well, you know).

When you eat a ton of chili with beans you're not tooting because of yeast, right? :D

I almost spit my coffee out from reading that. A bunch of friends and I made chili last weekend and was the only one without gas. The timing of that statement is just too perfect.

As for the OP, I was always told it was the yeast. Complex sugars? Learn something new everyday.:mug:

not to start a pit-fight here - but it's probably not the yeast....it's the unfermented complex sugar molecules that are, well, causing a little more tuba playing in the band (if you know what I mean).

At least, that's the best I can come up with - everyone blames the yeast - but it's likely some loooooooong sugar chains in your beer that didn't get broken down...

Damn, you learn something new every day on here....I never knew...

I added Crosby and Baker Priming sugar, 5 ounces, to it. It was my first time bottling and i did like i thought i was supposed to, not to sure what those other things you guys were talking about, but the room where it ferments is about 78 degrees, while where i keep the bottles are in closed beer boxes in a closet that prob around 72. This one i didnt put it in the secondary filter though, it was my first batch and i really wanted to drink, but the batch i am working on right now has been in the secondary for acouple days now after a long time in the primary.
I cleaned the bottles out as good as i think i should, so with that being said, any sugjestions what i should do that will soften this added bonus to the beer, or basically i will adapt to it?

Damn, you learn something new every day on here....I never knew...

Complex sugars? Learn something new everyday.:mug:

please don't take my comments as fact - afterall this is the interwebz...

but - I've never had problems with pale ales, or ambers -- but when I brew a big ol' complex matly IPA......and then only let it ferment for 2 weeks before bottling. Oh boy - the stomach girgles reminded of something out of American Pie or Van Wilder -- then again, it was on top of a bad meal of a lot of fried food...

don't underestimate the other things you comsume adding to your orchestra...

I think my body is getting used to my homebrew, my gas is less deadly than after the first couple and less frequent.
When people would say beer does funny things to you, i dont think they had any idea how far this funny stuff goes. lol

Back