Gas lines & John Guest fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scriv

Reaction score
If you have John Guest fittings on your kegerators gas side, can you tell me what tubing you are using? I'm having a hard time with leaks and I think it may be the tubing I'm using (1/4" od vinyl). I tried subbing in some semi-rigid PE tubing, but that seemed to leak more than the vinyl. I'm at a loss here, and I need this thing up and running by next weekend.

I have John Guest with Bev Flex Ultra on the liquid side, no leaks at all.

I am using 8mm poly tubing with John Guest fittings for the gas side of my keezer. Works well, no leaks. Had a surplus of both from work, same thing we use to plumb compressed air to the printing presses.

Vinyl tube? As in the soft clear PVC tubing? If so, that tubing is not appropriate for quick connect fittings. That tubing should be used with barbed fittings. You need a more rigid tube for quick connect fittings.

Russ

Vinyl tube? As in the soft clear PVC tubing? If so, that tubing is not appropriate for quick connect fittings. That tubing should be used with barbed fittings. You need a more rigid tube for quick connect fittings.

Russ

As I mentioned, I have some PE tubing as well, both types will lose 1-2psi per hour when I pressurize the system and shut off the tank. I'm now in the process of resealing the 4 way secondary, maybe it's leaking. Soap on all connections show no bubbling.

Looks like I have a couple ball lock gas disconnects that are leaking, I hit each one with 50psi and dropped some soap in and they make very fine bubbles. I'm going to try to disassemble & check the o-ring, but may just end up replacing them.

Many use 1/4" OD polyurethane tubing for CO2 lines. Main benefit is that it remains very flexible at lower temps.

Back