Gas Leak and other Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defroach

Reaction score
Ok, I know this was probably asked before, but I need a little help.

My kegerator was working fine up until two weeks ago. I had a 5# CO2 canister (lets say canister #1) hooked up and it was going well for 3 kegs. I hooked up the next keg in it and the CO2 canister (canister #1) went out a couple of days later. I thought nothing of it, and hooked up another CO2 canister (canister #2) to it and the canister was done within a week with minimal use. I went to airgas, got a refill of both, got more teflon tape, made sure I had a o-ring inbetween the regulator and the canister (#2) and hooked it up. A week later, the exact same thing. There was still 7 psi in the keg, but the canister (#2) is empty. Canister #1 is now hooked up as an hour ago....

Is it possible for the keg to be leaking the CO2 or the canister (#2) to be? Or where abouts should I be looking? I am a little confused as the hoses and everything else worked fine up until this last keg.

Right now, I have the canister #1 hooked up, filled the keg with CO2 and turned off the CO2 to see if there will still be pressure in the keg tomorrow morning, but I assume there will be as there has been still pressure when the last canisters went empty. What else should I be doing or do you think there could be something wrong with the canister? I hope this make sense...

Also, completely off subject, I have had this kegerator for a couple of kegs, how the hell do I get the tube unscrewed from the inside of the tap tower? I know this is probably and entirely too retarded of a question, but I cannot get it unscrewed from in there....

Well, if everything was good before you switched to keg 2 you probably have a leak in the keg somewhere. Could be a post, a poppet, or the lid seal or relief valve. Basically any part that screws in or clamps to the actual keg body. Could be the post not screwed in snug or you need new gaskets. One other leak point could be the connection from the regulator to the tank. I change my flat gasket/washers regularly. It is actually recommended to change them every time you switch tanks but I don't.

I have had leaks from the keg pressure relief valve not seating correctly &/or the rubber falling off or being worn out. Also the gas in line (grey) on the keg might not be seating correctly or you need new o-rings. Get some soapy water or a container of the bubble making liquid (advantage of having a small child) and put some on every part of the entire gas system that has connection points as well as the keg lid. Looking for bubbles forming.

My tower has a cap on top and then you have close access to the hose connection.

thanks for the advice. I replaced the o-ring, retightened everything, got some hose clamps on everything and retesting it again.

Hopefully this will work, but we will see....

If it doesnt, I will try the tub with soapy water.

Well, I just dont believe it. You have gone through 3 tanks in a few weeks, and you still think there might not be a problem. Wake up call, there is definately a leak. All joking aside, you really need to just do what the poster above have said. Its fairly easy to make up a soap solution and test all the connection. Second thing you want to do is isolate the problem. Disconnect all the grey disconnects from the kegs. Open up tank valve and apply about 20 psi. Turn off the gas valve at the tank. The regulator should still be reading 20 psi. Leave it alone for at least 24 hours. When you check it, it should still read 24psi. If it doesnt, you have a leak in the reg, hoses or quick disc. To test the kegs, apply pressure to them, then apply soapy water to post and lid.

I finally got some time and did stick the whole system under water, it was fairly obvious where the leak was and I tightened up that and add more Teflon. Overnight, there was minimal gas coming out and I think the problem is fixed.

Thanks again...

Back