gas in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filbs123

Reaction score
Hi I have just aquired a new and better pressure barrel and would like to transfer the beer in my existing barrel to my new one.If I let the pressure go from the existing barrel and transfer the beer and also get rid of any sediment in the process...will the beer once transfered get back its gas,and if I use a co2 gas bottle does that gas go into the beer or does it just sit on the space between beer and the top of the barrel and so forcing the beer out when drawn off....thank you..Filbs

filbs123 said:
Hi I have just aquired a new and better pressure barrel and would like to transfer the beer in my existing barrel to my new one.If I let the pressure go from the existing barrel and transfer the beer and also get rid of any sediment in the process...will the beer once transfered get back its gas,and if I use a co2 gas bottle does that gas go into the beer or does it just sit on the space between beer and the top of the barrel and so forcing the beer out when drawn off....thank you..Filbs
If you release pressure from the headspace of your old barrel, then transfer the beer to the new one, you can expect to get a lot of foaming and carbonation loss. It's inevitable. Also, the beer won't magically "get its gas back." To recarbonate to your original carbonation level, you'll either need to re-prime (and maybe pitch new yeast) or force-carbonate.

As for using CO2, if you force carbonate, depending on the pressure you use some will be absorbed into the beer, and some will stay in the headspace, once equilibrium has been reached. You really need to consult the carbonation charts to get this answer.

Back