Gas dip tube...totally necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stjackson

Reaction score
So, I bought a couple pin-lock kegs a while back, but only had enough hoses, taps, etc to hook up one at the time. I'm looking to get the rest of what I need to get both kegs going at once, but I discovered the other day that I don't have a gas dip tube on the keg that hasn't yet been used. I'm definitely going to get a tube for it eventually, but I have a beer that I want to go in there sooner than I can probably find one, since my usual keg/parts supplier (kegconnection) is out of them.

Can I still use the keg for the time being without the tube?

The gas dip tube has an oring around it which, when pressed down with the post, keeps the keg from leaking gas. I suspect that without the diptube and oring you will have a small-to-significant gas leak on that post. It is an integral part to keeping the keg gas-tight. Which is not to say it won't work, just be aware of it's purpose.

That's what I was afraid of; having only ever kegged one beer, I wasn't sure. Thanks for the info.

Check ebay or craigslist for a tube or another keg. I've done very well for myself posting in the wanted ads on Craigslist

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back