Gardening: My Tomatoe and Pepper Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100 lb propane tanks for the heater(s). The local propane guy will give me the "Ag Teachers/FFA, glad you teach the youth of today" discount of $64 a tank for a full 100 pounds!! The little emergency 20 lb tanks that most people use are usually just filled to 17 lbs. I looked into getting a 250 gallon tank, but the initial cost, the plumbing and the monthly contract was not cost effective. The most I've ever used in a year was 2 full tanks. I like to keep my exterior man cave comfortable...and the plants like it too! Best thing, I always have propane on hand for a brewing session.

Jalapenos can be picked green or red. If you wait till they are red they are more like Fresnos. Pawn is dead on about habs. You have to let them color or you lose that fruity taste that makes them so damn good!! Yours look almost like a banana pepper of some kind. I would leave a couple on the plant just to see what they do.

I think your right with the banana pepper call...I tryed one tonight..Tastes exactly like a Green Pepper. Not hot at all.

She said she planted 3 different seed packages...But has no Idea which are which at this point. :rolleyes

Man are her tomatoes good!

DSCF9316.jpg

That is pretty littletimmy. The gardens are impressively well maintained as well. You hang out there ehh. Cool.

PassedPawn what can i say, preciate it. If they're going to be pressure cooked you think I can get away with not starting in the food processor. I've got a bunch of dried Arbols, the thai looking chillies. Thinking about making a little hot sauce with them. You go seeds and all huh, hot! Side note im thinking about a nice little sauce for Mexican food. I just quarter up some tomatoes and onion, then a couple Peppers to taste. Sear it real good in some oil then blend it. Great on Chili rellenos and eggs. If i cook it on the stove should I just bring it to a boil for 5 minutes. Don't want to take a chance of leaving some heat for my kids in the pressure cooker

Here's some cherry tomatoes and various peppers. I think I'm going to make 'sun dried' tomatoes in the oven with a lot of the cherry tomatoes

tomatoes and peppers.jpg

The okra is starting to produce well finally. If you told me there was a better vegetable than okra, I wouldn't give you a nickel for it!

I always try to grow my cukes up something like a fence, getting stung by wasps and stepping on snakes is no way to pick them.

Looks like garden is producing well. Never tried okra, wonder if it would grow here. I have been gone on vacation. No problems watering just the friends and family getting the goodies

I had three tomatoes which started coming in before the plants decided to quit. Well those pale green tomatoe have started turning red.

They Okay to eat? Been on the vine a couple months.

Habenaro are starting to turn orange. Hops still don't have burrs so I think those aren't going to come through on their first year

I had three tomatoes which started coming in before the plants decided to quit. Well those pale green tomatoe have started turning red.

They Okay to eat? Been on the vine a couple months

Yep, no problem. At least they're ripening for you.

I didn't grow any habaneros or other super hot peppers this year. My intestines begged me not to. :)

Happy Sunday.

I just harvested a second crop of banana peppers from my two plants and a few more mexibelles and there's a second crop of hot Hungarian wax peppers coming along. They're getting crowded by some green beans.

Luckily my latest attempt at fermenting pepper slices went well. I already ate them all (!) so I'm going to do that again with all of these.

banana and mexibelle harvest.jpg

hot hungarian wax peppers.jpg

I opened one of the jars today when my daughter and her husband came by and we tasted it in tortilla chips. Everybody loved it! I think I should have reduced it a bit further after I strained it, and maybe cut back a bit in the clove and allspice, but is was really good and I will make it again. It would be awesome on fish, and was great as part of my steak marinade tonight.

Happy Sunday.

I just harvested a second crop of banana peppers from my two plants and a few more mexibelles and there's a second crop of hot Hungarian wax peppers coming along. They're getting crowded by some green beans.

Luckily my latest attempt at fermenting pepper slices went well. I already ate them all (!) so I'm going to do that again with all of these.

Dang look at all those peppers, beautiful.

Finally home will update tomorrow. The family left some nice-looking fruits. Too dark to tell

We've been on vacation in Alaska the last 2 weeks. Went to clean and harvest the garden tonight. I'm whooped! Cucumbers are getting eaten by cucumber beetles, but still producing. I've never had cucumbers still alive in August before. Trellising is where it's at. Lemon boys and orange tomatoes are coming on strong as well as early girls. Many of my San Marzanos have blossom rot, but I will still get a nice crop. Cherry tomato plants arena pain in the ass. I grow them for my kids, but they vine out all over the garden and if you don't pick them every day or two they split and rot. Here is what I harvested. Sadly I threw away almost as much that was not edible.

0F4D5EE5-0262-44AF-BEDD-52DB513BD3A1_zpsmahl4fmh.jpg

Wowza, oldskewl. This is all I got but don't know what the family got into. They shared it was pretty cool really.

Ps, the broccoli and brussel sprouts have pretty much taken all of the garden and not produced. You get a little broccoli and it's over. I think I'm doing it wrong. I should plant some, grow it, when it start to sprout cut it, redo.

View attachment 1471312753151.jpg

View attachment 1471312774892.jpg

Watered the garden last night. LOTS of Roma tomatoes, but nothing is changing color. I'm disappointed by the peppers. The tomatoes are so tall they are shading them I think.

Time to plan a meal with garden beans for tonight. Probably just cook them in a pan with some bacon grease and salt and pepper. Fish should be thawed and ready to cook as well. Too bad nobody else in my family is into fish... =8D

It's cool that you even have a winter growing season. Here in north Texas we are too hot or too cold, with little in between. I may try, but given we have had 6 days or more of rain and cool weather I'm thinking we will have a cold winter this year.

Hey pepper gurus. Been snatching tomatoes, jalapeños, cayennes, and these little orange dudes all summer from my parent's raised beds for salsa. Any idea what the orange guy is? My dad doesn't remember what he planted...I thought initially they were habs or some hybrid, but they are very mild. Like not hot at all. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1471990148.149462.jpg

Yellow looks like Hab to me. Red is the ripe jalapeno

That's what I'm saying. I planned a whole recipe for a hot salsa with them a few weeks ago. Completely mild and fruity tasting. The green (and red when we had the patience to let them turn red) jalapeños and cayennes (now dead) both had good heat. The mystery orange peppers - which I assumed before tasting were habs - had no heat. I've heard of a variety that looks similar, but void of heat. Wondering if this is of that variety? Tastes good, just not hot.

Edit - also, this one is more orange than the pic appears, but earlier in the season they were much more yellow and translucent. Probably not the peppers' fault rather than the growing conditions.

The orange pepper may be in the habanero family but not all habs are hot. There is "Trinidad Perfume" and "Pickergill's Orange" that look like the common habanero, but have minimal scoville heat units. I've grown lots of the TP's and love the classic smoky w/o the heat. Did your dad start them from seed or did he buy transplants from a local DFW nursery? I saw a limited number to Trinidads at North Haven gardens this spring.

Transplants probably from Calloways in McKinney. Like I said, they taste good, just no heat, and was curious. Very similar to looking to habs. The jalapeños and cayennes make up for the heat in blended salsas.

I think they are the little sweet peppers. My wife buys them all the time at Sam's Club to dip in ranch for parties. Or some other version of small sweet pepper.

I don't think these are those.. I'm familiar with the little sweet peppers. These are "crinkly" and oddly similar to a traditional habanero appearance. Don't taste like baby bells either. Also fruitier than sweet like baby bells. Texture's way different also. More thin skin and waxy if that makes sense.

I've got a ton of Roma tomatoes, but so far none of them are turning red. I'm afraid they will all hit at the same time. I better call my friend's mom and ask her for her famous spaghetti sauce recipe!

Hopefully they won't all be green by the end of growing season...

Oh, and I got 1 bell pepper out of 4 plants. WTF?

Several Jalapenos, though. Probably enough to make some ABTs for friends and that's it.

Latest posts

Back