game plan for 5 split batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
planning on getting 25 gallons of unpasteurized cider from a local press here in NH. Probably next weekend. I have 5x 5-gallon glass carboys, so I plan to do 5 different batches. Need a game plan to get some interesting variety. I will drink some young, but I can let a batch or two sit for a year or more. What would you do?

My basement is about 63 degrees right now. I have a chest freezer that I can use to lower fermentation temperature, but I can only fit two of the carboys at a time in there.

Batch 1 -au naturale. Just put an airlock on and let the wild yeast do their thing
Batch 2 - Campden tablet, Nottingham yeast, no temp control. I've had good luck with Nottingham on store-bought juice ciders
Batch 3 - Campden tablet, Hornidal kveik yeast, no temp control. Under-pitch to get fruity esters out of this yeast.
Batch 4 - Campden tablet, yeast nutrient, S-04 yeast, 50F controlled fermentation.
Batch 5 - applejack. Or should I just pull off 1-2 gallon samples off the main batches to freeze-distill?

I'm open to any ideas!

When you said split I thought you were going to be adding fruit or something.

I have used different yeasts but unless they were side by side I wouldn’t be able to tell you what yeast is which, with that said I would add fruit or some spices for a fall cider.

I actually have 2 batches of cider going now with some store bought juice and am going to add some blueberry concentrate that I got at IKEA. Then some frozen raspberries and then I’m not sure what else either.

In the past I’ve done the just let it ferment and it was good but too dry for me so then I add campden then backsweeten to taste.

I hadn't planned to add fruit and spices, but I'm open to the idea.

In fact, I could split off even more test batches post-fermentation into 1-gallon jugs, adding fruit and spices for secondary of sorts

I really like your idea of the primary differences being yeast type. You might end up with four very similar ciders, or you might find significant differences and obtain valuable info that you can also apply in the future. The wild ferment has the highest chance of having significantly different characteristics.

I recently made an Applejack. I did a 3 gallon batch and ended up with .75 gal after jacking. For me that is more than enough. You may find a five gallon batch to be a bit much, unless you are planning to gift a lot away, or you really like drinking Applejack.

You could split off some other smaller batches, but that really starts to increase your workload for the same total quantity of cider. Five simultaneous batches is already going to be quite a lift. I'd recommend possibly adding fruit to one of your listed batches rather than splitting off into smaller batches.

My 2 cents:
The natty and the S04 I'd put in the fridge. The kviek, I'd get a fermawrap and heat it up, and dry hop it. The nottingham leave at room temp as you stated, and maybe just leave it as is, a straight up cider. The S04, I would consider doing some sort of spice addition (I like cinnamon and vanilla extract plus backsweetening of course). And #5 do some applejack, and maybe the rest add fruit? Never made apple jack so I don't know what goes into making that.

I hadn't planned to add fruit and spices, but I'm open to the idea.

In fact, I could split off even more test batches post-fermentation into 1-gallon jugs, adding fruit and spices for secondary of sorts
I did this kind of thing once. ONCE. I made three- 5 Gal batches and did 5 different flavors in my secondaries. This could lead to one giant pain in the ass keeping track of what works well with what. In the end, I just determined what the yeast did with the basic cider and went with that. I can't imagine opening 5 bottles of the same flavor each with different strains of yeast and taking notes on the differences. Its another level of dedication that may work well for others but not for me.

UGH, and the labeling involved. I just remembered all the labeling. It got old quick.

sounds like a ton of work...
Worth it though. Its really not that bad.
IMG_7797.jpg

planning on getting 25 gallons of unpasteurized cider from a local press here in NH. Probably next weekend. I have 5x 5-gallon glass carboys, so I plan to do 5 different batches. Need a game plan to get some interesting variety. I will drink some young, but I can let a batch or two sit for a year or more. What would you do?

My basement is about 63 degrees right now. I have a chest freezer that I can use to lower fermentation temperature, but I can only fit two of the carboys at a time in there.

Batch 1 -au naturale. Just put an airlock on and let the wild yeast do their thing
Batch 2 - Campden tablet, Nottingham yeast, no temp control. I've had good luck with Nottingham on store-bought juice ciders
Batch 3 - Campden tablet, Hornidal kveik yeast, no temp control. Under-pitch to get fruity esters out of this yeast.
Batch 4 - Campden tablet, yeast nutrient, S-04 yeast, 50F controlled fermentation.
Batch 5 - applejack. Or should I just pull off 1-2 gallon samples off the main batches to freeze-distill?

I'm open to any ideas!
Batch 1 -au naturale- Sounds perfect. Im a big fan of wild ferments. I'd also consider capturing some yeast outside before you set it inside. Let go low and slow. Put it in the coldest spot/ controlled fermentation. I would also let this age the longest and wouldn't drink too much of it young. This is your baby/long game batch. Age it for a while.

Batch 2 - Nottingham yeast - my second fav store bought yeast sounds perfect
Batch 3/4 - I haven't used those yeast yet, been meaning to do an 04 batch forever. the HK sounds interesting
Batch 5 - Applejack. For simplicity sake, I would not pull 1 gallon samples off all of them. I'd just have a dedicated applejack batch. Remeber, you are going to probably only get about 1 gallon of product when its all done. (IF you keep freezing it until it won't freeze anymore) I'd just use the Nott again.

Looking good. Since the commercial yeasts are more vigorous it also keeps more sediment in suspension, which is why they are more cloudy. Expect those to finish much faster than the wild one.

Back