Game of Thrones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a lot of fan theories that may have some weight as well. I like the one where Littlefinger is really still alive, he paid a faceless man to take his place at the execution and somehow he will come back. I do not think Sansa will die, she has gone through too much of a transformation in the last 7 years, I think she'll just remain the lady of winterfell. Martin said the ending will be bittersweet, so either Jon or Danny will have to die, though I could see Jon dying leaving a child inside of danny.

I also like the idea that Jamie will have to kill cersi, fulfilling the prophecy that the younger sibling will kill her. Bran wont' die, i would bet money on that one. He will live in the weirwood tree in winterfell as the new 3-eyed raven, probably after doing some creepy predictions that will change the tide of the war.

I think bronn is the biggest wildcard. He will somehow get the golden company to change sides (remember braveheart?) and make an impact during the battle of kings landing.

Also, the previews look like the winterfell battle will be next week.. I'm not sure if that'll be a quick battle or not because unsullied with dragonglass spears would be a great opponent.. I don't think we're going to see any undead dragon until the kings landing battle though..

loved the new intro

something bugging me about the episode: I remember a season or two ago there was a maester meeting in the Citadel and they were discussing a message from Winterfell about the white walkers. Sam was in the room at the time and tried to convince the maesters the threat was real. the maesters decided to ignore the message and when Sam left the room, one of the maesters asked Archmaester Ebrose if Sam was the one who had his brother and father executed. So I assumed Sam already knew, but apparently not, as Dany telling him she had them executed seemed to come as a surprise

also: the entire series (books & show) are about strong and resourceful women. the society may treat women like property, but not one of the surviving women act like they are anyone else's property. whoever sits on the Iron Throne at the end, it will be a woman.

my guess/hope it will be Lady Mormont. she's the fiercest of them all

Last edited:
There are a lot of fan theories that may have some weight as well. I like the one where Littlefinger is really still alive, he paid a faceless man to take his place at the execution and somehow he will come back.

I don't think a faceless man can assume the identity of someone unless they kill them.

wow! perfect setup for this past episode to get you back into loving all of the characters before some are most likely going to meet their demise! well job HBO..

what was everybody's favorite parts? when bran said "the things we do for love" to jaime and didn't elaborate so only he knew what he was referring to was wonderful.. anybody else feel awkward when arya was getting naked?

I think watching Lyanna talk to Jorah like he was the 13 year-old and not her was excellent. I wish they had flushed out the conversation between those two but we got a lot to pack in here in a short window, people! Tormund telling the Giantsbane story was A+ also.

I thought the Arya/Gendry connection was fine and awkward in a sort of realistic way but apparently some people think a pre-battle quickie for Arya shows that HBO knows nothing about the depths of womens' hearts and minds...https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/22/18511263/game-of-thrones-arya-gendry-sex-scene.

I guess a show like this that invites people to dig deep into everything invites this sort of criticism but if Tormund and Brienne or Dany and Jon weren't going to get it on before the battle someone had to, right?

I think watching Lyanna talk to Jorah like he was the 13 year-old and not her was excellent. I wish they had flushed out the conversation between those two but we got a lot to pack in here in a short window, people! Tormund telling the Giantsbane story was A+ also.

I thought the Arya/Gendry connection was fine and awkward in a sort of realistic way but apparently some people think a pre-battle quickie for Arya shows that HBO knows nothing about the depths of womens' hearts and minds...https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/22/18511263/game-of-thrones-arya-gendry-sex-scene.

I guess a show like this that invites people to dig deep into everything invites this sort of criticism but if Tormund and Brienne or Dany and Jon weren't going to get it on before the battle someone had to, right?

The article you posted is acting like its trying to defend women, but its putting Arya and women in a box of how women "should" behave...isn't that the opposite of defending a woman? Women have to be vulnerable and depend on others? I don't buy it.

Brienne and Jamie got a lot of play, that means one or both of them is bound to die doesn't it? I've like both of their stories, and I've really liked how Jamie has come full circle since season one. I'm holding out he survives to kill his sister.

I think that was Greyworms kiss goodbye he’s on the front lines all the time

Really good episode a lot of good humor I expect to be followed up with tragedy

couldn't be more true!

65nn739u18u21.jpg

the writing is irrelevant without the acting to make it work

Alfie Allen makes it work.

You know I never even gave it a second of thought your right he nails that character in so many lights you don't even notice it, almost as if he was born to play Theon

I really haven't come around to those last phases with Theon. He really hasn't done anything to redeem himself in my eyes and I really have been hoping he dies a gruesome death pretty much since he wanted to murder the direwolves in episode one. He can boohoo with Sansa about them both knowing how sadistic Ramsey Bolton was but that doesn't do much for me.

Plus I think Euron much more accurately portrays the personality of the Iron Born.

The dude is a good actor though.

Also let's all keep in mind that Melisandre is going to make herself known in Westeros before it's all over. She is a wild card people are over-looking right now. I am surprised there aren't theories out there as to what she is up to.

Is she gathering an army of the Lord of Light in Essos? Is this going to be another time when a battle seems hopeless and back-up comes over the hill to save the day? Who knows, but mark my words the Red Woman is going to come back to shake it up.

Oh I am no fan of Theon but the actor is very good at playing him I hope he dies Sunday defending Bran

Melisandre will be back she mentioned she dies in Westeros when she was talking with Varys. "Is this going to be another time when a battle seems hopeless and back-up comes over the hill to save the day?"
That's exactly what I am thinking is going to happen

I cant believe there will only be 4 more episodes :(

It was a really good episode so much went on, It did not go well for the Mormont's and Theon finally got his honor in check, Beric Dondarrion's story came to an end, and Arya like a ninja what an episode. I cant wait to watch it again tonight so much went on I am sure I missed some things and of course what's to come obviously there is major unsettled business with someone
th.jpg

I was so worried that they were going to end the episode with the Night King pulling out his spear for Bran. Then Arya comes running in, and there's hope, then the Night King catches her by the throat, I worried she might die, then you see the dagger falling and you know its the end for The Night King...I was standing right in front of the TV at that point, I couldn't sit through all that.

Yeah reading around today I find it ridiculous that people are giving them so much crap for the battle/episode.

Lyanna Mormont goes out with honor and Jorah goes down protecting Khaleesi alone, both fitting to great members of another great house destroyed.

I was in the camp of steeling myself to lose more characters than they killed. It doesn't change my mind that the cast is probably going to be cut by a third at least from the major character pool in the next couple. And I do agree with the criticism that the epicness of these types of battles and then having the vast majority of the characters survive is a bit unrealistic, I'm not ready to get pitchforks and torches out like the other haters.

But seeing Tormund literally standing at the end on a mountain of wights he killed and then Jaime/Brienne/Pod up against a wall hacking away for what would have been hours and everyone makes it through did make me chuckle. I love these guys and they are all famous warriors with good reason but sometime a dude gets a lucky knife thrust and you just die.

You have to be invested in the characters so they can continue stringing along the tension but jesus man they have a good way of making the battle look completely FUBAR and then at the end being like, huh, yeah sure a lot of soldiers died and some tertiary people but that was...easy?

Also who else thought for a hot second that Sansa and Tyrion were hopeless and were going to double suicide instead of being eaten by the undead? At that point I was ready for the whole thing to go sideways fast. At least they rekindled that old fire.

SPOILER******FOR THOSE WANTING A LIST OF WHO DIED ON EPISODE 3*****

• [*]Beric Dondarrion
    [*]Eddison Tollett (Dolorous Edd)
    [*]Jorah Mormont
    [*]Lyanna Mormont
    [*]Melisandre
    [*]Theon Greyjoy
    [*]The Night King
    [*]Viserion

It sure didn't live up to what I expected. So far Season 8 hasn't lived up to what I was hoping for/expecting. Maybe things will change, but my confidence in the Hollywood crew giving us the type of drama/entertaining RR Martin intended is fading.

Anyway the cinematography was great with the exception of everything being too dark, but the story line/plot was kinda disappointing. HBO spent 20 million dollars on this episode, but they couldn't afford decent lighting. Come on.

I'm gonna re-watch Wednesday morning but right now:

1) The Death of the Knight King was lame. Where did Arya come from? did she parachute in? I know she is a seasoned assassin, but the Night king was surrounded by thousands of soldiers and she just appears and kills a legendary evil king with a knife. Winter and the Night King has been coming for 7 years and it ended like that. B.S.
2) Hardly anyone died who was essential to the story line.
4) The whole "zombie Stark" theory was correct, but pointless. Yup.
5) Without Melisandre arriving with a functional box of matches would they even mounted a minimal defense of Winterfell? ...but again none of that should have even mattered. Arya should have just parachuted in and stabbed the Night King in the neck before any fighting began if it was that easy.
6) Theon's attempt to rush the Night King was lame.
7) What the heck was creepy Bran doing all episode? He warged into the 3-eyed raven, but for what? Did he just want a better view of the battle? Am I missing something here?

The battle was very entertaining, especially visually, but the plot didn't really go anywhere.
8) About the only thing interesting from a plot perspective was the brief conversation between Sansa and Tyrion about their prior marriage and the suggestion of a possible future alliance.

9) Looking forward. We're back to the battle for the Throne. How is the battle between Cersei and the Winterfell Crew even going to be close to a fight? All of the main characters, including all of the individual main character-warriors are still alive. Most of the Dothraki are gone, but Daenerys still has 2 dragons. The Golden Company/Cersei doesn't have a defense against dragons.

I have read all the books, although by the time George R.R. decides to finish the next one I'll probably have to reread them to remember what has happened, but I've not watched any of the HBO series. Out of curiosity I checked out a few videos about last night's episode, since it's all over the news, including some of those "reaction" videos and the clips actually looked pretty exciting although the reactions of people watching were a bit of a surprise. I guess I've been living under a rock because I had no idea people were so emotionally invested in the show. I'm still hesitant to watch the show because I'm afraid it will ruin the next two books if they ever get finished.

I loved the episode. The lighting was perfect for me. You could easily make out which characters were doing the fighting which is all you needed because it was night. It added to the tension where you had no idea what was going to happen. That made the flames give a much better impact when they kept coming and coming. I also loved how they switched from scene to scene to play with your emotions. Like it would be a crazy loud battle scene and then go to the library where Arya was stealthy. I would also suggest anybody to go back and listen to the music/effects. That episode was oscar worthy just for the music!

I was quite happy with all who died, though was surprised Brienne and Davos survived because both of them have done what they needed and ep2 made it appear that they would be leaving. Was very worried they were going to take out Arya after she killed somebody or was protecting somebody but since needs to cross off Cersei off her list that can happen right after that. Now that the battle is over there will be some drama with Jon and Dany with who is in charge, or who will the people follow since there are no more (minimal) of Dany's army there. Since they didn't show Kings Landing at all I still think that maybe the Lanister army is already traveling north to fight the winner of the battle at winterfell before they can regroup. That would be the smart thing to do anyways.

Overall I am very much looking forward to the next 3 since they have plenty of time to tie up all of the loose ends and still have one more battle ahead of them!!

1) The Death of the Knight King was lame. Where did Arya come from? did she parachute in? I know she is a seasoned assassin, but the Night king was surrounded by thousands of soldiers and she just appears and kills a legendary evil king with a knife. Winter and the Night King has been coming for 7 years and it ended like that. B.S.

This is the main negative point to me, it was ridiculous.

Literally the super-human antagonist was defeated because he chose to walk super slow and stare at Bran for minutes on end before deciding to kill him. This is something I hate and for some reason it shows up again and again and again in movies and TV, "I have defeated you good-guy, now watch as I super-slowly finish you off just in case someone has anything to say about... oh woops I'm dead," I hold GoT to a higher standard than this non-sense.

The enemy is seemingly invincible, but his desire for drama led to his demise.

Of all the tiny holes and misgivings, they really are trying to sell us on the fact that this being, who has been trying to take over the entire continent for thousands of years, gave all that up because he wanted his final victory to be dramatic. His audience for this drama mind you are mindless zombies. I overlook this crappy ending to the Night King because I had accepted the fact that they were going to wrap this sub-plot up this episode but it was tough to swallow for sure.

I really liked the episode too. A little surprised they wrapped up the Night King, but there's only 3 episodes left. I would have ended the episode at the moment he grabbed Arya by the throat! Glad they didn't though . . .

I'm also glad there wasn't much of "zombie characters" in it. There was a little, but I thought enough.

I really liked the episode too. A little surprised they wrapped up the Night King, but there's only 3 episodes left. I would have ended the episode at the moment he grabbed Arya by the throat! Glad they didn't though . . .

I'm also glad there wasn't much of "zombie characters" in it. There was a little, but I thought enough.

I am a bit pissed about the demise of The Lady from Bear Island, but at least she took out a Giant

Lyanna did go down swinging. They had to give her a sweet kill before she went all we have seen of her tenacity was telling grown men they are idiots and cowards. I love house Mormont but they went down swinging. "Here we Stand," house words say it all.

Looking forward. We're back to the battle for the Throne. How is the battle between Cersei and the Winterfell Crew even going to be close to a fight? All of the main characters, including all of the individual main character-warriors are still alive. Most of the Dothraki are gone, but Daenerys still has 2 dragons. The Golden Company/Cersei doesn't have a defense against dragons.

don't worry bro - Arya will use a face of Jaime & come to Cersei - Cersei will take off her clothes to have sex with Jaime & at that moment Arya will remove her Jamie mask & cut her throat - Arya will kill two people with that death but gives zero ****s - Da Aunt Banger & his Auntie will rule Westeros & there will be peace in the 7 Kingdoms - Game of Thrones done

I think Bran was Warging to lure the Night King to the Godswood. Also, When he showed up his whole army stood aside. They didn't react when Theon charged, so if Arya was there, why would they react to her? What would have been better is if Bran was able to Warg into Theon at that point and force him to charge, showing Arya this was the moment she needed. I was disappointed Tyrion and Sansa didn't get their hands at least a little dirty though. The whole crypt scene was a wasted opportunity.

It sure didn't live up to what I expected. So far Season 8 hasn't lived up to what I was hoping for/expecting. Maybe things will change, but my confidence in the Hollywood crew giving us the type of drama/entertaining RR Martin intended is fading.

Anyway the cinematography was great with the exception of everything being too dark, but the story line/plot was kinda disappointing. HBO spent 20 million dollars on this episode, but they couldn't afford decent lighting. Come on.

I'm gonna re-watch Wednesday morning but right now:

2) Hardly anyone died who was essential to the story line.
4) The whole "zombie Stark" theory was correct, but pointless. Yup.
5) Without Melisandre arriving with a functional box of matches would they even mounted a minimal defense of Winterfell? ...but again none of that should have even mattered. Arya should have just parachuted in and stabbed the Night King in the neck before any fighting began if it was that easy.
6) Theon's attempt to rush the Night King was lame.
7) What the heck was creepy Bran doing all episode? He warged into the 3-eyed raven, but for what? Did he just want a better view of the battle? Am I missing something here?

The battle was very entertaining, especially visually, but the plot didn't really go anywhere.
8) About the only thing interesting from a plot perspective was the brief conversation between Sansa and Tyrion about their prior marriage and the suggestion of a possible future alliance.

9) Looking forward. We're back to the battle for the Throne. How is the battle between Cersei and the Winterfell Crew even going to be close to a fight? All of the main characters, including all of the individual main character-warriors are still alive. Most of the Dothraki are gone, but Daenerys still has 2 dragons. The Golden Company/Cersei doesn't have a defense against dragons.

This. 1-9

1. The Night King was just a bioweapon, not a living thing. He never ran or acted in haste. When he threw the spear at the dragon he did it slow and mechanical, the same at Hardhome, the same after getting knocked off the dragon, staring at the dragon trying to burn him, turning to see a charging Jon raising the dead and turning to walk to the Godswood, Theon attacking he barely registered until Theon was in his personal space. He had a deliberate walk up to Bran, regarded the target and was pulling out his weapon. Anything else would have been way out of character. HBO did draw it out with slow motion for effect, but the NK was moving as he always had.

Arya showing up out of nowhere is understandable, but not great. The NK controls all the dead and basically had them in standby mode while he achieved the goal of killing Bran. If anyone approached the NK would have noticed and let his drones attack but, as the first episode made a point to show Arya being silent creeping up on Jon in the Godswood, he noticed it too late. It is not great, but the show had precedent for it.

2. True. Although did you expect anyone essential to the story line to die? Wouldn't that make them unessential? Jon, Danny, Cersei, Tyrion, Sansa, somewhat Jamie, and possibly Arya are the only one essential to the storyline after the NightKing. Sam, Podrick, Brienne, Tormund, Hound (though he needs to battle the Mountain), Grey Worm to all survive is a bit of a stretch.

4. It drove the conversation and understanding between Tyrion and Sansa. Without it there is no way Sansa would let her guard down enough to talk to him. But it was a bit underwhelming and inconsequential to everyone else.

5. Very much so. Every tactic to defend themselves was pitiful.

6. Theon's attack was the apex of his redemption arc. How many times had he cowered away when facing death. He was an honorable man and made peace with his death and went out like a warrior not the coward. Every one knew he was dead and he finally faced it.

7. No idea, did not seem to do anything. Trying to keep on eye on the nightking to warn Theon when he comes maybe? Maybe trying to see as much as possible to remember it as is his duty? I don't think there is a great answer and we will not be getting one.

8. Well yeah. It was an 80 minute battle episode. There was maybe a dozen lines of dialogue. The Northern threat is done for good, so that plot point is tied up.

9. Even without the much great numbers I would not count Cersei out of any battle. They are building a lot of these Scorpian weapons for the dragons and using the civilians as a shield against dragon fire maybe?

OK I watched again and feel a little better about the way Arya killed the Night King. About 20 mins before it happened She, Mellisandre, the Hound, Beric Dondarrion were in the Castle. After a remembering a previous conversation with Mellisander about killing people with different colored eyes, she seemed like she was off to do something. Presumably that was to set up an ambush/assassination on the King who she knew would confront Bran in the Godswood. So, if she got to the Godswood in secret and before the bad guys arrived, I guess she wouldn't have had to directly avoid all the NKings guards/wights.

OK I watched again and feel a little better about the way Arya killed the Night King. About 20 mins before it happened She, Mellisandre, the Hound, Beric Dondarrion were in the Castle. After a remembering a previous conversation with Mellisander about killing people with different colored eyes, she seemed like she was off to do something. Presumably that was to set up an ambush/assassination on the King who she knew would confront Bran in the Godswood. So, if she got to the Godswood in secret and before the bad guys arrived, I guess she wouldn't have had to directly avoid all the NKings guards/wights.

and at the same spot earlier bran mentioned that she was able to sneak up on her, which implies she is good at getting at that exact spot w/o being seen my even the 3 eyed raven..

Back