Gambrinus ESB Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
Has anybody brewed an ESB with the Gambrinus ESB malt as a base malt? I noticed the lovibond is 3-4, as compared to 1-2 (roughly) for regular two row. I'm looking for a maltier ESB recipe, and was looking at an alternative to using Maris Otter for my ESB base malt.

I use this as my base malt, not quite as dark as Gambrinus. It's fine to use these as long as you are not trying to brew a really light beer

Great Western Northwest Pale Ale Malt (2.6-3.0°L)

A slightly darker base malt than our Premium 2-Row, our Northwest Pale Ale Malt is produced from well-modified, Western-grown 2-Row barley, with a kilning regimen based closely on traditional British Pale Ale malting practices. Contributes a malty complexity to beer flavor and aroma. Excellent in American Pale Ales and American versions of British beer styles.

nice, thanks! i'm checking with my lhbs to see if they have either one. I may end up with more of a Northwest Ale anyway by the time I'm done with this recipe.....

Back