Gallon bottles for apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feffer

Reaction score
Can I use the original 1 gallon (plastic) containers that the TreeTop apple juice came in to bottle my apfelwein when it's done? It might be several months before it all gets consumed.

I wouldn't recommend bottling in plastic that isn't designed for reuse. The oxygen permeablilty of the container, combined with the potential for plastic leaching, could spell out disaster for your brew.

One gallon glass carboys can be had for cheap at any lhbs, and most health food grocery stores also stock apple juice in them. If you buy your juice prepackaged in a glass carboy, you end up getting a really good deal on the carboy, and you get some rockin' juice to start your apfelwein!

Best of luck! :mug:

Yea, I had a feeling the plastic wouldn't be good. I got the TreeTop juice from Costco in plastic. Next time, I'll look for the juice in glass jugs.

Back