galaxy hops not like citra?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
keep hearing how galaxy is similar to citra. decided to brew today using both and there is a big difference. the galaxy smelled soapy, garlic, onion, some dank, but just kinda off. best described as a blend between simcoe or zythos and summit(the bad part of summit). smelled the citra side by side and citra was clearly better/different (tropical, mango, etc). im wondering if the 2012 crop is different than 2011. i had several beers in 2011 with galaxy as a single hop that where great and did resemble citra. not really feelin whats going on with these, anybody else have this problem? do they translate better in kettle or dry hop than the actual pellet smell? either way, i wouldnt call galaxy a sub for citra based off the pellet smell.

My buddy made a beer featuring Galaxy hops that rocks. I'm gonna use them in one of my next IPA's also.

Did you get a bad bag of hops? Oxidized or sun damaged?

nah i dont think so. they did seem kinda brown in color though. i read this is normal for those hops being from Australia. maybe they are ok, just thought they were gonna be like citra.

Sorry but I simply can't agree with you that Citra is better than Galaxy. I love Galaxy at the fifteen minute flavor addition and then with some Cascade (or Citra?) making up the aroma additions. I really dig the passion fruit flavors you get from Galaxy.

Sorry but I simply can't agree with you that Citra is better than Galaxy. I love Galaxy at the fifteen minute flavor addition and then with some Cascade (or Citra?) making up the aroma additions. I really dig the passion fruit flavors you get from Galaxy.

jeah i hope that comes through in the final product. in pellet form it didnt smell tropical or juicy like citra though. i could see maybe some orange coming through

I love them, but then again I guess that might have been last years crop. I haven't had them in a bit now and last time I went to Northern Brewer they were out. My Galaxy Pale Ale is actually my favorite beer.

I was a bit worried using them the first time because after I did I bought the 8-bit Pale Ale which uses Galaxy and I kinda think it sucked. Can honestly say mine is way better and the ingredients were roughly the same.

Back