Galaxy Golden Promise SMaSH Hop Schedule Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd_brewbie

Reaction score
Wanting to brew a Galaxy Golden Promise SMaSH IPA this weekend. Looking for some feedback on the hopping schedule.

14lbs Golden Promise -> 1.074 OG making something around 7.5% ABV
Hops (all are Galaxy)
1oz First Wort Addition (40 IBUs)
2oz@15min (36 IBUs)
4oz@ flameout
5oz Dryhop for 5 days

I have never used Galaxy before but from the description I think this will make a really flavorful IPA. What does HBT think? More Hops? :ban:

I did consider eliminating the 15min addition and just increase the FWH to get something in the 70 IBU range. I haven't bought the hops yet so I am not limited to any total quantity.

Thanks

I hate the bitterness I get from galaxy as an early bittering hop (also FWH, but I've only done it once with galaxy). If it was me, I'd move all of the additions to 20mins or later, with a truckload added to the whirlpool and dry hop.

Edit: I'd go something like this:
20mins to 35IBU, 10mins to 15IBU, 5mins to 5 IBU, flameout/WP (lots), dryhop (lots)

Last edited:
Nope! SMASH= Single Malt And Single Hop. Therein is the challenge. If you're gettingtoo many IBUs, push back the additions to later in the boil.

I know, was being sarcastic.

Back on topic I see mixed reviews using galaxy for bittering. I will consider building my IBUs from later hop additions, but might leave a small amount up front. Part of my reason to do a SMaSH is to learn about the hop.

I find I learn most about the hop from the flavor and aroma additions. I take the alpha acids at their word as far as bittering goes; I've never noticed much difference between hops when it comes to bittering

I just re-brewed my all-Galaxy DIPA today. I really enjoy this hop. It seems the more I use in a beer, the more citrus, passion fruit and pineapple come out and the bitterness remains pleasant. This time, the OG was 1.085 with 14# pale malt, 1# flaked oats, a tad(4oz) of crystal 60 and 1# sugar. 90 minute boil with 6oz at 20 minutes, 4oz at 5 minutes and 2oz at flame out. I'll dry hop with 4oz in the secondary. I've brewed it different ways and I'm hoping this schedule gives me the "juice" I'm looking for. So, with that being said, don't be hesitant to use it. Just don't use a lot, if any, at 60 minutes or more. I agree with Gnomebrewer.

Latest posts

Back