Galaxy/Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinkNoH2O

Reaction score
Hey guys - wanting to brew a single IPA to showcase Galaxy hops, but since I'm not a big fan of single hopped beers and love Amarillo I came up with a Galaxy/Amarillo IPA. Any thoughts/feedback?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.43 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 68.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU

10.40 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 81.9 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 11.8 %
0.40 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.1 %
0.40 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.1 %

1.00 oz Magnum [12.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 39.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 6.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 8.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 9 13.7 IBUs

1.00 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

1.00 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 18 0.0 IBUs

Mash @ 152 for 60 minutes
Big healthy starter of WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast (picked it up at White Labs tasting room last week)

I'd say add more hops in last 10 min. Could increase your flameout or maybe add a 5 or 10 min addition especially galaxy as looking to showcase that hop.

I brewed an all-Galaxy IPA recently with a malt bill very similar to yours. I added all of the hops as late additions, so the aroma/flavor in mine would have been pretty strong comparatively, but I will say this: Galaxy, like Citra (with which Galaxy is often compared), can be a bit overpowering, especially when used to dry hop. I would say you can lighten the Galaxy additions with respect to the Amarillo; otherwise the Amarillo character will be drowned out, in my opinion.

Couple things I would change are;

The 60 min Amarillo addition. A.25 oz addition at 60 really won’t contribute significantly if at all to the beer. Also your dryhops times are far too long should be closer to 5 days and 3days before packing. Here is some more recent science on the matter
D055836E-6130-4976-B28B-641863B0FF49.jpeg
9E34771A-6CFA-4176-B48B-B94213B01C92.jpeg
DDD96DD2-6B71-4FB9-9770-5EE3F2EB74CF.jpeg

I wonder if anyone has tried a side by side test of a 1 day dry hop compared to multiple days.

I have tossed hops into kegs of beers that seemed to be missing something and had noticed changes to the beers within hours.

With that said I would be nervous to only dry hop for 1 day vs the 4 or 5 days I do now.

I wonder if anyone has tried a side by side test of a 1 day dry hop compared to multiple days.

I have tossed hops into kegs of beers that seemed to be missing something and had noticed changes to the beers within hours.

With that said I would be nervous to only dry hop for 1 day vs the 4 or 5 days I do now.
I personally switched double dryhop at 3 days before and 1 day before cold crashing to keg and I really enjoy it. I also have gone full close transfer and soft crash yeast before these dh additions and I achieve true bright hop character

Due to time constraints I have been dry hopping some NEIPAs with a single dose of 4-6 oz, at the end of fermentation (@ ~70-90% attenuated). Then cold crashed the next day or 2 days later for one day, kegged, and force carbonated. I did stir the dry hops (under CO2) twice a day. Tasted wonderful and very fresh! Grain to glass within 5 days is very possible with this style.

Thanks for you sharing your observation @Dgallo and @IslandLizard.

Looking at the yeast choice and grain bill the recipe looks more like a west coast than a north east IPA.

I think if a shorter dry hop cycle give the same or better results why not apply to either type of IPA.

As a side note it is sort of funny, the data for the recent science in table 14 is two years older than the OP.

What is a soft crash?
Soft crashing is the practice of dropping the temp to 50*f or slightly lower (yeast dependent) to cause the yeast to go dormant and drop out out of suspension. This way you can dryhop with a greatly reduced amount of yeast in the beer so that when you full crash before kegging the yeast does not stripe any of the hop compounds that were gained through dryhopping. This practice is specifically utilized by commercial breweries because it takes them much longer longer to drop their volumes down to serving temps and uses of energy.

I personally switched double dryhop at 3 days before and 1 day before cold crashing to keg and I really enjoy it. I also have gone full close transfer and soft crash yeast before these dh additions and I achieve true bright hop character

I first read this as you went from a 3 day + 1 day for cold crash dry hop schedule to 1 day + 1 day cold crash dry hop schedule, but on rereading it seems like you do two dry hops one at 3 days before cold crashing and a second dry hop at 1 day before dry hopping. Are you doing one dry hop for 2 days or two dry hops 1 for 4 days and 1 for 2 days?

Also do you hold the beer at 50F during your dry hopping or do you allow the beer to warm once the yeast has been put to sleep?

I first read this as you went from a 3 day + 1 day for cold crash dry hop schedule to 1 day + 1 day cold crash dry hop schedule, but on rereading it seems like you do two dry hops one at 3 days before cold crashing and a second dry hop at 1 day before dry hopping. Are you doing one dry hop for 2 days or two dry hops 1 for 4 days and 1 for 2 days?

Also do you hold the beer at 50F during your dry hopping or do you allow the beer to warm once the yeast has been put to sleep?
The second way you stated is how I’m doing it. So my first day is 3 days in total and my second dryhop is one day in total before crashing. All hops go in loose so the first overlaps with the second for 1 day. I typically will warm back up to room temps which takes about 6 hrs. Mosaic and Galaxy I will dryhop right around 50 and let it free rise. Seems to pull out more of their fruity notes

FWIW, experimental data (see Basic Brewing Radio - November 1, 2018) suggests that pellet hops work quickly in the kettle as well.
I agree. I always have 50-60% of my hops in late boil/whirlpool. Dryhops are great but the depth developed on the hotside is undeniable in my experience lol

Shortly after seeing this thread I did a 10gal batch of beer and split it for an experiment. One half I dry hopped for 5 days and one I did for 2.5days. Same yeast type, same type of fermentor, different chambers but same type. Dry hopped on the same day post pitch at similar gravities. One was kegged 2.5days earlier and the beer was first samples about 2.5 weeks in the keg.

From an aroma point of view they were both very similar, but the 5day dry hopped half seemed a bit more bitter(maybe just sharper) and possible a bit more hop flavor. In general the beers were pretty similar.

I was not overly impressed with how much aroma I got from either version so I may give it another shot when I do a double batch. It is one data point so take as it is.

I agree. I always have 50-60% of my hops in late boil/whirlpool. Dryhops are great but the depth developed on the hotside is undeniable in my experience lol

Hey Dgallo—
I’ve recently moved to similar hop additions — late boil/whirlpool. I’m frequently unimpressed with the dry hop character I get. Though I often struggle with closed transfers in my current set up. Would you mind sharing your general approach to late boil additions? Amounts, times, etc. I got real harshness from late kettle Galaxy once & have been hesitant since.

Hey Dgallo—
I’ve recently moved to similar hop additions — late boil/whirlpool. I’m frequently unimpressed with the dry hop character I get. Though I often struggle with closed transfers in my current set up. Would you mind sharing your general approach to late boil additions? Amounts, times, etc. I got real harshness from late kettle Galaxy once & have been hesitant since.
You could use the hopping schedule in my base pale ale recipe and then up the dryhop and Whirlpool by 2-3 oz each.

You really need to tighten up your close transfer and anti o2 practices if you want to make a great heavily hopped ipa

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/base-pale-ale-recipe-for-single-hop-beers.673718/

Back