Gabf 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's BS. Craigslist totally allows non broker private ticket sales:

http://denver.craigslist.org/tia/

See where it says "tickets, by owner"?

I go to approximately 20 Furthur shows a year and I don't always have tickets before I go. I've bought and sold numerous extra tickets on CL and I'm not a broker whatsoever. Solar Steve was with me last year at GABF and had only 1 out of the 4 tickets and yet he managed to get into each session, even buying a brewers pass from someone leaving early for the Saturday night session.

You want in, you'll get in.
It is bs, but that is exactly what happened. Within an hour or so of listing tickets my listings would be removed. Maybe they have since updated their policy but I am not making that up.

It is bs, but that is exactly what happened. Within an hour or so of listing tickets my listings would be removed. Maybe they have since updated their policy but I am not making that up.

Sorry for harshing on you bro. My experience has been good with buying and selling tickets on CL, never had an issue.

i got mine!!! 2 for each of the 3 days and then 2 for saturday nite as well!!!

the wife and myself are going to have a blast,

this is where she wanted to go for our 10 year anniversary, who am i to argue.

had no problems at all, everything worked as it was suppose to, my aha number and everything.

Sorry to all that had issues... :(

GABF ‏@GABF 31m

@txwineblog Saturday afternoon session has sold out entirely. Only Thurs, Fri and Sat night sessions are available in public sale tomorrow.

No you wont, CL doest allow the sale of tickets by a non ticket broker.
I tried selling my tickets last year on CL when I realized that trying to go to the Friday and Saturday sessions before/after the Saturday afternoon session was a crazy idea.

I have bought concert tickets on CL in the past, but I am always a bit nervous when scanning as I am afraid the ticket may not be valid. I prefer Stubhub because it gives more piece of mind that there is a company that will make me whole if for some reason there is an issue with the ticket.

GABF ‏@GABF 31m

@txwineblog Saturday afternoon session has sold out entirely. Only Thurs, Fri and Sat night sessions are available in public sale tomorrow.

So does this mean that there were only a limited amount of presale tickets? I'm wondering because I'm getting a no tickets available for each of them.

I know of two people that purchased members session tickets that are not AHA/BA members using fake member numbers. One guy said he got it through on the first try.

AHA has some serious issues. I wrote a strongly worded email, and most likely won't renew my membership when it expires next year. I just don't feel they are making any effort to correct their issues.

I know of two people that purchased members session tickets that are not AHA/BA members using fake member numbers. One guy said he got it through on the first try.

I know one guy who IS a member and kept getting rejected with his actual number..... so he put in a fake one - and got his two tickets for saturday noon.

If a "fake" number worked, wouldn't it potentially stand to reason that it was probably some other members real number? Mine wouldn't work at all for the members session, but I could buy ones for Sat night. It's plausible that "fake" numbers took the opportunity from others...

you've got to be kidding me.

GF got hers to go through on her phone, but i couldnt get it work at all. If its sold out, looks like i got screwed as well and only ended up with half out tickets.

I spoke with someone at the BA regarding the problems that I encountered and he told me that the Members Only tickets sold out in less than 3 minutes and the Pre-Sale Gen. Admiss. tickets for Thu-Sat. sold out in less than 15 minutes. Crazy.

I too was shut out of the system when I tried to enter my number (repeatedly). I frantically entered another membership number (we have the family/group plan with 4 total memberships) and it took that one. Go figure.

I spoke with someone at the BA regarding the problems that I encountered and he told me that the Members Only tickets sold out in less than 3 minutes

Well that is a lie (on their part), because I got my members tickets at about 15 after..... my e-mail receipt showed up instantly in my mailbox, and it says 17 after.

If a "fake" number worked, wouldn't it potentially stand to reason that it was probably some other members real number? Mine wouldn't work at all for the members session, but I could buy ones for Sat night. It's plausible that "fake" numbers took the opportunity from others...

I suppose it is plausible - in the same way that guessing 9 random numbers between 0-9 is plausible. If it was someone's number, and it worked, and they wanted tickets...... pretty sure they had theirs already in the first 5-10 minutes. This person resorted to typing in random numbers after about 10 minutes of their number being declined. I think it is pretty likely that using a random number did not prevent anyone from getting tickets.

I think it is much more likely that scalpers and others found ways to scam the system and buy lots of tickets to resell on stubhub. I think it is more likely that the AHA screwed the pooch on yet another event. I think it is more likely that ticketmaster F'd up the one job they are actually suppose to be good at.

I suppose it is plausible - in the same way that guessing 9 random numbers between 0-9 is plausible. If it was someone's number, and it worked, and they wanted tickets...... pretty sure they had theirs already in the first 5-10 minutes. This person resorted to typing in random numbers after about 10 minutes of their number being declined. I think it is pretty likely that using a random number did not prevent anyone from getting tickets.

I think it is much more likely that scalpers and others found ways to scam the system and buy lots of tickets to resell on stubhub. I think it is more likely that the AHA screwed the pooch on yet another event. I think it is more likely that ticketmaster F'd up the one job they are actually suppose to be good at.

It would be interesting to see what member numbers were used and compare to the purchasing party's name. I'm guessing there would be some descrepencies.

Well that is a lie (on their part), because I got my members tickets at about 15 after..... my e-mail receipt showed up instantly in my mailbox, and it says 17 after.

Yep, you are correct. Denver Post said that the Member's Only tickets sold out quickly but does not state that it was within 3 minutes. The article says that the remainder of the Pre-Sale tickets sold out in under 90 minutes with the Sat. evening session the last one to sell out.

Sorry to hear so many people had such rough luck with TicketMaster. I was expecting trouble having read about last year (and experienced a likely much greater TM rush for 1/2 price Broncos tickets earlier this month) but was pleasently surprised when a) the screen came up promptly at 10 a.m., b) my AHA number was accepted, and c) and I was able to get tickets to the Saturday afternoon session. Looking forward to my first GABF!

Also, I've bought and sold tickets many times on Denver Craigslist without problem. Having said that, their FAQ suggests that if you're trying to sell tickets for more than face value and someone flags your post, they'll take it down.

Q: Can I scalp my ticket or popular gift item on craigslist?
A: Many users will flag posts scalping tickets or popular gift items for way over face value.

Sorry to hear so many people had such rough luck with TicketMaster. I was expecting trouble having read about last year (and experienced a likely much greater TM rush for 1/2 price Broncos tickets earlier this month) but was pleasently surprised when a) the screen came up promptly at 10 a.m., b) my AHA number was accepted, and c) and I was able to get tickets to the Saturday afternoon session. Looking forward to my first GABF!

Also, I've bought and sold tickets many times on Denver Craigslist without problem. Having said that, their FAQ suggests that if you're trying to sell tickets for more than face value and someone flags your post, they'll take it down.

Q: Can I scalp my ticket or popular gift item on craigslist?
A: Many users will flag posts scalping tickets or popular gift items for way over face value.

You are only supposed to sell tickets on Craigslist for face value (no scalping) but I know that this does not always occur. People often list the tickets for $1 and then negotiate. Then there is Stubhub, where $75 Sat. Members Only tickets are currently going for $195.00 and the other $75 Session tickets are going for $120-$154.

I have heard from other BA members that the BA is monitoring Craigslist GABF ticket re-sales but I have no idea whether or not this is true, or what they could do about it other than possibly invalidate the ticket and refund your money.

I hope that the BA does come down hard on this because this is not what GABF is about or should be about (i.e. scalping tickets at an inflated price while long time members are left empty handed).

I was able to pick up tickets for Saturday afternoon no problem. Then refreshed and picked up 2 tix for Friday night 6 minutes later. No problems at all with TM.

Last year I was successful also, but couldn't get them from my PC, and had to use my phone.

Einberger1 said:
I'd vote that all of us with an interest in it flag as many of the scalping CL posts as we can.

I appreciate the sentiment but with StubHub out there I think it's probably a lost cause trying to dissuade scalpers.

I hate to bring it up again...but it looks like it has happened again. Second day in a row at work. My boss actually lets me bring in my laptop and try to get these damn tickets, and I get TWO middle fingers back at me. I'm sure most of you are over this by now, but this is my first time trying to go and I'm really pissed.

Historically I've gone to the Thursday and Saturday Members' sessions. With Thursday you have the opportunity to try everything before they run out (I've seen some very limited batches like a popular Pro-Am brew run out on the first night), and the folks that go to that session seem to be there for the beer more than those who go to Friday and Saturday evening sessions, who seem to be there more for the drunk. Not all of them mind you, just a larger percentage that I prefer to avoid. Saturday afternoon is *far* less crowded, more leisurely, and I've heard of some breweries bringing a keg of something special specifically for that session. The veracity of that last bit I can't really confirm, but it certainly sounds good.

This year, I grabbed 2 for the members' only session yesterday on the anticipation that I will help pour on Thursday or Friday for a friends' brewery. I experienced the same problem as many others with my member # not working, then magically working after 15 minutes. Last year I ran into the problem where it wouldn't recognize that I accepted their Terms and Conditions. Ticketmaster has one job and they can't even do that right.

Unfortunately the BA is in contract with TM through 2014. They've stated that they are taking all options into account past that. In the mean time, for 2014 at least, they could follow the method that Nine Inch Nails has taken to for pre-sale tickets to prevent scalping. You buy your tickets, then they keep them at the venue. Your name is printed on them and you have to show up with ID and your whole party. They validate, then send you in. No grabbing your tix then leaving to scalp them. It allows those folks that are actually going to get in and prevents scalping, which the GABF, like other in-demand events, is riddled with.

In the mean time, for 2014 at least, they could follow the method that Nine Inch Nails has taken to for pre-sale tickets to prevent scalping. You buy your tickets, then they keep them at the venue. Your name is printed on them and you have to show up with ID and your whole party. They validate, then send you in. No grabbing your tix then leaving to scalp them. It allows those folks that are actually going to get in and prevents scalping, which the GABF, like other in-demand events, is riddled with.

This has always seemed like a logical solution to scalping. Of course there's the problem of those who buy tickets and then cannot use them, but even this could be worked around by having Ticketmaster act as a clearing house: you'd notify Ticketmaster that you want to return your tickets, and if any buyers show up Ticketmaster takes money from a new buyer and then refund your purchase price (less a fee, presumably). Obviously it's more work for Ticketmaster and the people running the gate, but I've never understood why high profile events don't work this way.

...Of course there's the problem of those who buy tickets and then cannot use them, but even this could be worked around by having Ticketmaster act as a clearing house: you'd notify Ticketmaster that you want to return your tickets, and if any buyers show up Ticketmaster takes them money from a new buyer and then refund your purchase price (less a fee, presumably)...

I've seen some brokers (possibly TM) who offer "Insurance" for situations like this. If you're not sure if you can make it, but want to buy the tickets, you pay an extra fee and if you have to cancel, you can get a refund of the ticket price. Utilizing both of these together would alleviate at least a little of some folks concern with the non-transferable tickets.

The clearing house idea (which is a good one, might I add) could probably be put into motion using a modified version of StubHub, and would allow for folks who didn't buy "insurance" to still get their tickets to those who want them, and not take a bath on unused tickets.

Sorry for the threadjack, folks. Now back to your regularly scheduled program: GABF.

...Planning on scheduling HBT get-togethers closer to the actual event. Would love to meet some of the great HBT home brewers. Dry Dock is not to far from downtown Denver, my favorite local, though there are many other fantastic venues in Denver...

I know I'd be down with hitting Dry Dock for a meet up. A buddy of mine hosts the bi-weekly Acoustic Showcase there, and if the schedule keeps up, I think the Tuesday right before (10/8) will have one happening. Might be a good night for some GABF pre-celebration.

I've seen some brokers (possibly TM) who offer "Insurance" for situations like this. If you're not sure if you can make it, but want to buy the tickets, you pay an extra fee and if you have to cancel, you can get a refund of the ticket price. Utilizing both of these together would alleviate at least a little of some folks concern with the non-transferable tickets.

The clearing house idea (which is a good one, might I add) could probably be put into motion using a modified version of StubHub, and would allow for folks who didn't buy "insurance" to still get their tickets to those who want them, and not take a bath on unused tickets.

Sorry for the threadjack, folks. Now back to your regularly scheduled program: GABF.

I know I'd be down with hitting Dry Dock for a meet up. A buddy of mine hosts the bi-weekly Acoustic Showcase there, and if the schedule keeps up, I think the Tuesday right before (10/8) will have one happening. Might be a good night for some GABF pre-celebration.

I've done the acoustic showcase a few times, we should do a HBT set.

Back