Gaaah!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMarty911

Reaction score
Did my first batch last night, started bubbling a few hours later. Unfortunately this morning before I left for work the fermentor bubbled over!! Do I just have the wife ;) clean it up and resanatize or should I have her remove some wort to make room?

Take out the inside parts of you three piece and connect a hose over the inside tube, then insert airlock bottom. Place end of hose in some sort of container with water.

So I have the blowoff tube installed etc but since that I've had probably 3 ish liters come out into the other bucket. Wtf? Or is that normal?

Depending on the yeast strain, but could be perfectly normal. You just have a very active fermentation going. Should calm down within the next day or so. Then you'll want to clean up your airlock and re-install it how it's supposed to be.

No tthat it matters now, but what size is your fermentor vs the size of your batch? 5 gal in a 6.5 gal bucket?

Buy an extra airlock for a quick swap when the blowoff is no longer needed. That way you can switch them and not be rushed at cleanup.

Ikmactually not sure how big the pail is. Just followed the instructions on adding water etc on the brew house red ale instructions. Was about a 1.5-2" amount of room left. First batch ever, and learned a lot already!!
Thanks to all so far for the kind helping hand! I'm sure there's tons of the same stupid questions on here!

Turns out I didn't lose 3 liters. Wife forgot that there was sanitized water in the cooler, a little foam came and colored the water.

That sounds a little more normal. It still should slow down over the next 24 hours and you can switch back to the airlock and it'll be just fine.

I use a qt jar about 1/3 filled with Starsan solution. Once it really overflowed into the pot that it was in. I don't know how much but I still got 50 bottles and it was a really good beer.

You might want to look into a larger pail for your next batch. 1"-2" of space will be taken up easily by krausen, you're going to run into this for pretty much EVERY batch you make. Invest $12 for a 6 or 6.5gal bucket. It will make your life easier.

Latest posts

Back