G & T Gose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cars1913

Reaction score
Looking for some help formulating a recipe that I found. Trying to make Anderson Valleys G & T Gose. There website states that they use:
Malts:
pale 2-row, cara-crystal, and wheat
Hops:
Bravo

Additions:
Lemongrass
juniper berry
grains of paradise
sea salt
lemon peel

Along with the additions I also read that during fermentation they add cucumber, sea salt, and cinchona bark (to emulate quinine from tonic water)

So with that said this is what I have come up with so far:

Recipe Type: All Grain***
Yeast: Wyeast 1056***
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5***
Original Gravity: 1.040-1.045**
Final Gravity: 1.010-1.013***
IBU: 20 or so***
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60***
Color: 3.7***
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7-10
Secondary Fermentation:7 ***

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040-1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 3.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 10-20 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

4 lbs - 2 row Pale Malt
4 lbs - Wheat (Ger)
.5 lbs- Cara-Crystal
2 lbs - Acid Malt

.4oz Bravo Hops - Boil 60.0 min
? oz -Lemon Peel (Boil 10 mins)
? oz - Juiper Berry (Boil 10 min)
? oz - Lemon Grass (Boil 10 mins)
? oz - Grains of Paradise (Boil 10 mins)

Mash at 149*F

Looking for some input about how to go about this.

You're going to need cinchona bark. It's a necessity for the tonic flavor. You can get it mail order from Penn Herb. I don't think you should add any of the flavor adjuncts to the boil, too much of the aromatics will be lost to the steam. Try making a tea out of your flavors and add to a glass of the finished beer before packaging a bit at a time until you get the flavor where you want it then step that quantity up to the full batch.
The other option would be to make a tincture to then add to the beer. Last year I made a Thai IPA with green cardamom, lemongrass, and grapefruit zest. I put 5g green cardamom pods, 45g lemongrass, and the zest of 1 grapefruit which ended up weighing 38g into 100ml of gin on brew day and let it steep for 8 days. On day 8 it went into the fermenter. I was extremely pleased with how it turned out. Maybe you could do something similar with your gose.

How are you planning on souring it? Typically, when I do a gose, I do a kettle sour. I usually use a pure lacto strain (e.g., OYL-605) but you can also use probiotic caps. I mash in, sparge, etc., when my kettle is full of wort, I pitch the lacto, purge headspace, then keep it warm for the lacto to work. Last one I did dropped to about 3.2 in 19 hours, keeping the wort around 85 degrees.

acidulated malt if I could. I am not looking to have an over powering sourness to the beer. I want to ingredients to shine through

You may make a fine beer with acid malt, but you will not be making a Gose. Acid malt will not lower the acidity enough.

Agreed, you should kettle sour. After mash lower ph to 4.5 and toss in some L. Plantarum. It sours fine at room temperature. I measured pH of Anderson Valley G&T gose and it came in at 3.5 pH.

If you do use chinchona bark, be a little careful with it. It is possible to extract enough quinine from the bark (particularly the powdered form) to give yourself chinchonism. I doubt you'll manage that in a homebrew/beer setting without it tasting too bad to drink (as opposed to in a sweetened tonic water), but just something to be aware of.

http://www.alcademics.com/2014/08/potential-dangers-of-homemade-tonic-water.html

Back