g-mix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZWyatt

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a noob to the whole kegging thing, and I've got a few questions about g-mix kegging. I don't keg yet, so I'm wondering if there's any difference in equipment to do a regular CO2 keg setup versus a g-mix setup, or is it just the gas that's different?

If so, what kind of cost difference am I looking at? What's the likelihood that my LHBS will carry the g-mix gas? If not, where can I get the bottle refilled?

If by g-mix you mean a mix of CO2 and Nitrogen then you're talking about beer gas as opposed to straight CO2.

Beer gas is used by bar to push beer greater distances at higher pressure, say from a walk-in cooler to the other side of a bar.
It is also used to serve Guinness (and others) using a stout tap with a restrictor plate. That set-up contributes to the soft cascading head.

Generally speaking it is only useful for the homebrewer for the latter (Guinness style our). It is not effective for use in force carbonation, though one can do low carbonation with the use of a cabonation stone.

I don't think that many homebrewers use beer gas exclusively. If they use it at all it is in conjunction with a CO2 setup.

Beer gas is traditionally distributed in Nitrogen cylindars which require a Nitrogen regulator. It is more expensive than CO2. In some parts of the world (Phoenix in particular) you can get the beer gas mix in CO2 cylinders and so you can use the same tanks and regs as your CO2 setup.

If you are in the PHX area, AZWyatt, try Dye Carbonic, which is a division of Phoenix Welding Supply. They sell beer gas in CO2 cylinders.

Anyone else who is considering beer gas should contact companies that specialize in beverage gases and ask if they will fill or exchange beer gas in CO2 cylinders.

Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I want a setup that will give Guinness and Old Speckled Hen that beautiful, cascading head. So I'd need a stout tap and a restrictor plate, and I could use a regular CO2 tank and regulator if I got some company in Phoenix to put a nitrogen mix in it?

When you say it's not effective for force carbonation, how will that affect a kegging setup if I'm starting from scratch? Will I need to buy a CO2 cylinder as well as the g-mix cylinder? How will this work?

Why, if the nitrogen mix will work in a CO2 cylinder and regulator, would someone need a nitrogen-specific regulator?

Thanks a lot for the info. Yes, I'm often in the Phoenix area, and will check out that company. Do you use beer gas? If so, I'd really love to check out your system sometime.

AZWyatt said:
So I'd need a stout tap and a restrictor plate, and I could use a regular CO2 tank and regulator if I got some company in Phoenix to put a nitrogen mix in it?

Yes, Most stout taps have the restrictor plate. (Small piece of plastic, if lost can be bought at NorthernBrewer.com)

AZWyatt said:
When you say it's not effective for force carbonation, how will that affect a kegging setup if I'm starting from scratch? Will I need to buy a CO2 cylinder as well as the g-mix cylinder? How will this work?
If you plan on soley using beer gas you will have to buy carbonaion stone which attaches to your dip tube and you will have to accept that you cannot get real fizzy beers (not so much of a problem if you are doing Guinness style drafts exclusively)

Or you'll have to prime like you would a bottle.

The key is to get the proper volumes of CO2 into your beer per the style. Low volumes for stuff you want to use the Guinness tap for, higher for other styles and taps.

Like I said, most HBers that do nitro taps and beer gas also have a standard CO2 setup.

AZWyatt said:
Why, if the nitrogen mix will work in a CO2 cylinder and regulator, would someone need a nitrogen-specific regulator?

In most other places, the Nitrogen cylinder and regulator are the equipment of choice. That's why it pays to call around your local area first.

AZWyatt said:
Thanks a lot for the info. Yes, I'm often in the Phoenix area, and will check out that company. Do you use beer gas? If so, I'd really love to check out your system sometime.

If I get a chance, I'll take some pics. I have a fridge with 4 taps that is currently hooked up to CO2. I have another line in for Beer gas and a cylinder ready to go. When I have a style that's appropriate, I swap out a tap for a Guinness one and hook it up. I may in the future drop the 5th tap in permanently, but it is also part of my jockey box system, so I haven't yet done that.

PM me when you think you might be around and I can meet you for a beer.

Are you in the Tucson area then? Tombstone, perhaps?

Yeah, I'm in Tucson, but I make it up to the Valley just about every weekend. This weekend I got the kids, though, but I'd be happy to join you for a beer next weekend. And I'd love to see the pics of your system whenever you get them up.

I don't have an real recent posts and as I said before, I have nothing to put on nitro presently, but this is the gist.

Fridge:
3712-IMG_9828.JPG

Jockey Box- I used the Murphy's tap to get a nitro pour. I use it as a stand alone when I travel or i hook it up on tap#4 on the fridge.
3712-7a_11.jpg

The Pour:
3712-IMG_0019.JPG

Results:
3712-IMG_0023.JPG

Back