FWH IPA recipe (2.5 GAL) 30 min boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am thinking about playing around with a FWH IPA using some extract I have that was going to end up in a partial mash that I am now splitting into 2 seperate 2.5 gallon beers.

FWH IPA

5.5 lbs Extra light LME
.5 lbs Crystal 40
.5 lbs sucrose (maybe to bump ABV and dry it out)

3 Gallon Boil

.5 oz Columbus(15%) FWH
.25 oz Cascade (5%) 20 min.
.25 oz Cascade (5%) 15 min
.25 oz Cascade (5%) 10 Min
.25 oz Cascade (5%) 5 Min
1 oz Cascade 7 day dry hop

I was thinking that I maybe only need a 30 minute boil for this since the bittering is all FWH.

What do you think? Should I go with a full 60 minute boil?

I'm not going to comment on whether or not you should or shouldn't, instead I'd say since it is such a small batch why not just do something experimental? It might end up amazing and then you can scale it up to a 5 gal batch?

The other half of this split batch is pretty experimental (a BIAB Rye English IPA) so I really want this to end up a pretty straightforward beer.

FWH is usually a flavor hop addition. Not sure Columbus is the right hop to use. Also, FWH gives a different type of bitterness, and I think you will be disappointed with it. For a full 60 minute boil, I dial in the FWH as a 20 minute addition for IBU count.

If it wee me, I'd put the 20 minute Cascade in as the FWH, and add the Columbus at 30 minutes.

I did a similar batch recently. 2.5 gallons, extract and steeping grains, all-Bravo hops (13%), with 0.5 ozs additions at 25, 20, 15, 10, 5 and 0. Sample tasted great; still got another week before bottling.

Latest posts

Back