FWH for BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boondocksaint

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any BIABers first wort hop their beers?

As I understand it I would just toss the FWH hops in when I hoist the grain bag for draining, right?

Let me know if I'm missing something on this. I thinking about brewing a Surly Bender clone next week & the recipes I've found call for FWH but I've never done it.

Cheers!

I've done it a couple of times just like that. Just throw hops in as you take the bag out.

I'd read that FWH would help reduce the hot break so I wouldn't need to watch the pot as closely at hot break so I tried it. Whoooeee, what a fun time I had trying (unsuccessfully) to control the hot break to keep it from boiling over. I'm back to adding my hops when the hot break has settled. YMMV

This is what I do as well, just toss them in when I remove the bag.

I'm skeptical as to how well FWH works for BIAB, however. With a traditional three-vessel setup, you're looking at quite a bit of time the FWH are in the kettle before you start the boil, because of the time it takes to sparge. I even do a small sparge, and it's still only 15 minutes or so from removing the bag to heating to boiling.

That said, I haven't noticed anything BAD about the beers I've used FWH on. Just not sure they would have been any different had I done a regular 60-min addition.

Back