fuzzy on culturing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valicious

Reaction score
I've been wanting to start building my own yeast library and been doing a ton of research (including listening to the Brew Strong show on it several times, but I'm still a bit fuzzy on some things.

As I understand it, this is the process to prepare yeast for long-term storage. (I think I have some stuff wrong, so please correct me.)

1. Dip inoculation needle into vial of White Labs yeast, then dip it into 25ml of wort.
  2. Let the yeast grow in the 25ml of wort, then step up to 50ml, then 250ml.
  3. Decant the liquid so only a yeast slurry remains.
  4. Pour that slurry into a 50ml centrifuge tube, then cool and decant as much liquid off of that as you can.
  5. Using a pipette, transfer a small amount from what's left in the 50ml tube to an awaiting 50ml slant (injecting the yeast in the middle of the agar)
  6. Fill the rest of the tube with a 50/50 mixture of glycerin and mineral oil. Add a drop of ascorbic acid.
  7. Seal tight and put in test tube rack in freezer.

Do I need agar in the slant with the glycerin and mineral oil? If so, how would I get to the yeast when I got to make a starter from part of what's in there?
I know the use of petri dishes come into play somewhere, but I can't figure it out. Is it only for preparing yeast from storage to starter?
Should I make one slant for storage, then only take a tiny sample from that when I go to make a starter? (and culture and multiply that tiny sample each time) Or make several slants and use the contents of an entire one when I make a starter?
I bought a bunch of 50ml centrifuge tubes, but then I realized that they may be too big. Is 50ml ones ok for the storage slants, or should I get the 15ml ones instead?

I found a centrifuge on craigslist for $50. I know it would make things easier, but just how vital is it? Is it a good deal?

Back