Future Kegerator - Anyone seen one like this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainsax

Reaction score
We just picked up this cool old fridge and are thinking about turning it into a kegerator. We have looked a lot online and can't find anything else like this. It was made by LaCrosse cooler company, and our best guess is it is from the 1950's. It will probably need all new guts. If anyone has any info on this piece I would appreciate it. If anyone has any resources for fridge rebuild kits that would be great too!
image_zps8cb7f442.jpg

image_zps342e6d71.jpg

Nope, but that is pretty neat. Planning on just using a simple tower in the middle?

I don't think you will find a fridge rebuild kit, but you could certainly replace the compressor. Assuming the evaporator and condenser are both leak free, you could replace the compressor with a small one designed for a fridge and it should work. You would probably have to replace the capillary tube and bulb dryer (if it has one), and clean out the refrigerant lines to run it on R134a. I would suggest taking it to a local refrigeration shop to see what they think it might cost. I'm guessing that you plugged it in and it's not working? I don't know what kind of refrigerant was used when this was built, but you would have to switch over to a more modern ozone non-depleting type like R134a.

Lacrosse is still around, they do bar equipment. You could contact them through their web site. There should be a model/serial tag on the unit somewhere. The tag will tell you what kind and how much refrigerant is in it. If its a 50's unit it could be anything from Ammonia to R22. Some refrigerants used back then were VERY toxic so identifying that BEFORE someone cracks that sealed system would be a good idea.

That is awesome. I'd leave the outside just the way it is. It's got a great patina.

The patina is cool! The "wood" is painted on. We might strip it down to the metal and then repaint. I think it was black originally. I just need to find some handles for the doors.

I don't think you will find a fridge rebuild kit, but you could certainly replace the compressor. Assuming the evaporator and condenser are both leak free, you could replace the compressor with a small one designed for a fridge and it should work. You would probably have to replace the capillary tube and bulb dryer (if it has one), and clean out the refrigerant lines to run it on R134a. I would suggest taking it to a local refrigeration shop to see what they think it might cost. I'm guessing that you plugged it in and it's not working? I don't know what kind of refrigerant was used when this was built, but you would have to switch over to a more modern ozone non-depleting type like R134a.

Haven't plugged it in, there is no plug! Looks like the compressor was on the outside. All the lines are empty and disconnected at one end. It is definitely going to be a project!

Lacrosse is still around, they do bar equipment. You could contact them through their web site. There should be a model/serial tag on the unit somewhere. The tag will tell you what kind and how much refrigerant is in it. If its a 50's unit it could be anything from Ammonia to R22. Some refrigerants used back then were VERY toxic so identifying that BEFORE someone cracks that sealed system would be a good idea.

I contacted LaCrosse and gave them the serial number that I found. They told me that the LaCrosse company that made this unit has been out of business for 30 years! They couldn't give me any info on it.

COmpressor is gone? That can make it tricky. Its a cool piece. I'd see if you can make friends with a local refrigeration guy, buy some parts and toss in some homebrew to build you a sealed system.

There was a similar resurrection thread on HBT within the last couple of years when a mini-fridge was cannibalized and the intact guts were transposed into the antique. iirc the biggest problem was venting the condenser loop heat - I think a grill was added for that purpose - but the "street view" was maintained...

Cheers!

There was a similar resurrection thread on HBT within the last couple of years when a mini-fridge was cannibalized and the intact guts were transposed into the antique. iirc the biggest problem was venting the condenser loop heat - I think a grill was added for that purpose - but the "street view" was maintained...

Cheers!

Cool! If anyone can point me to this thread I would be greatly appreciative!

Back