Future brewers say the funniest things

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzycist

Reaction score
I was racking some beer to secondary when I decided to actually collect some of the yeast cake for a ginger ale experiment. I've never done it before, always just used new yeast for batches. My 5-year old, who often watches me brew, comes up.

She: Whatcha doin?
Me: Collecting some yeast.
She: Can I see?
Me: Sure. *Holds up the sanitized mason jar*
She: *looks for a sec, then lets out a huge gasp* You could use that for your next batch of beer!
Me: Haha, yes, I could!

So proud of her.
Do you guys have any good stories of brewing with kids?

My little girl says I stink up the house when I make beer. :(

(I brew in the kitchen and sometimes the odor does linger a little, especially when it's cold out and I can't open a few windows to ventilate the place.)

My 5 year old's first statement to me on most Saturday mornings is "Can we make beer today?"

It brings a tear to my eye.

I have an a 4 year old (almost 5), who says that too. He's actually really helpful with weighing things and such.

mty wife actually misses the smell of the wort boiling in the house since I went AG. our boys (now 3 & 7) like to help with the mash, adding hops, and bottling. the 7 y/o has a kind of dangerous smart I'm trying to guide toward soda and beer making. he's already a bit jaded toward the general public. 3 y/o is just wild & fearless.

Before I was married, I used to keep fermenters in the tub in the downstairs bathroom of my bachelor pad, which I never used as a tub/shower. My (then future) father-in-law told my nieces that "Jon brews beer in his bathtub!"

The look on their faces was absolutely hilarious.

Back