Funny smell to cider on day 8.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMotherConfessor

Reaction score
Hi again.

So this is my second kit batch now and I have the temperature stabilised and it's going well. The SG is sitting at about 1.006-1.008.

When I had a smell of the fermenter it had a really strong smell of what I can only describe as alcohol as it made my nose and throat sting a tiny bit.

Is this normal or has something gone horribly wrong? I can't smell the cider through this strong smell even when I got some out with a thief.

Thanks,
Sarah.

you sure its not a nose full of CO2? That kinda burns, and it gives me an instant headache for a few seconds. Cider always gets better with age though, if it's not perfect, just let it sit.

Yes, that might be an alcohol smell you are noticing. If you used sugar and fermented quickly you can get a "hot" or rocket fuel like flavor and aroma. What ingredients did your kit contain and what yeast did you use?

It may be co2, I'm not really sure. I've read a lot about the sulfer 'bad eggs' smell, I remember sulfer very well from school and I don't think it's that. It was a concentrate apple juice kit with yeast sweetener and nutrients. It's called Young's peach and passionfruit cider.

It's pretty hot the smell. Very strong. No real smell to it other than alcohol.

Sarah.

That kit only makes about 5% alcohol, so I doubt that's what you're smelling. I don't know what peaches or passion fruit smell like while fermenting, but I do know that the smell of cider changes during the ferment process. So, I would't worry about it.

The peach and passionfruit is a add back flavoring if that's the right term. At the moment it's just apple juice. It's a very repulsive smell and none of my other ciders or wines have had that smell!

Not floating no but there is a scum build up around the sides of the container.

My bad - it's actually strawberry and Lime (Young's again with around the same abv). Ingredients state there is strawberry juice concentrate in it. It's very red so I'm guessing there's a fair bit of it in there.

Smelled fine on SG readings until today. It's sitting at around 1.006 so it's almost done. There shouldn't be anything wrong sanitation wise as you say. The wine I put on that day with the same equipment doesn't have that smell.

I have given it two good stirs today and it have left the lid slightly off so it can dispel into the air a little. The room stinks after I stir it.

Sarah.

Edit: I feel a bit of an idiot for getting that mixed up but I'm so used to coming on here and troubleshooting my peach and passionfruit.

Most likely you're just getting that unholy combination of hot alcohol, CO2 and high acid.
That will age and mellow. Whether it is off enough that it's truly flawed afterwards or if it will age into a delicious hard cider with wonderful aroma... Only time will tell. Part of the art side of cidermaking- it's very difficult to judge before aging.

Back