funny looking hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostnfoam

Reaction score
:cross: well and freind and went up to conn. to a brew house. i picked up some basic brew stuff and decided to by a kit from the store. now i normally by from midweat and Austin but i said what the hay. well i was surprized to see the guy pull the kit right off the shelf and the only thing he went to the fridge for was for the yeast. i was thinking to much about getting a drink not to think twice about it. well right now i opened the kit to look over what i got. well DME is hard to screw up so that looks good. the only thing thta made me mad were the hops. they looked likr rabit food very dry one bag even had two differt hops in one bag and they were really dry to the point that the hops were breaking down and they also had no aroma. i know the answer the my question but i would like to know what my fellow brewers think. should i just go to another store and get fresh hops or use the stuff i got. i just don twant to make 5 gallons of s^@t. well thank to all that are listening to my mad rambaling:confused:

I'd say they are shot. Particularly, if they are brown. Some noble hops, a little brown is ok. Most cases, no.

I concur!

If you can't smell anything, those "hops" are just there for decoration,

I bag down 3-10 pounds of hops a week. I can smell ALLof them. From a decent distance, too.

steve

well there still green, its just that they some are turning back into powder or flake. and the smell... i have some left over hops from other recipes all that i sealed back up and put into the fridge and they still have there own smell.

I'd usually say RDWHAHB, but sounds like those hops had been sitting on the shelf for months. Hops are cheap enough, get some fresh ones - no point potentially wasting however much you spent on the kit, plus your time, over a couple dollars' of hops.

hops with no aroma? :confused: I'd have to concur that their bad.
Go back and get some fresh ones.

maltos express. i have never had a problem with them before. however it is my first time buying a kit from them. there are some stuff that i dont care for like hops that arent cared properly for and they must buy there grain in bluck because the grains are in zip lock bags. well i dont want to drag them in the dirt becasue they are good people.

Back