Full size fridge fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckleyBrew

Reaction score
I have a full size top freezer refrigerator that I'd like to repurpose as a temperature controlled fermentation chamber for a Fermentasaurus. Ideally the Fermentasaurus would sit in the fridge, the temperature of which would be controlled with an ITC-1000 or similar, rather than the existing fridge thermostat. Here's the kicker - I want the freezer to continue operating as a freezer (I don't want the temperature controller I use to impact the freezer temp).

Can this be done?

Not likely since most units use a single temperature control for the freezer and an air damper that regulates the fridge temperature. Without heavy modifications, if you run the refrigerator in the mid 60's (F) the freezer compartment will likely be above freezing.

Thanks. I found some older threads on this topic after posting. Wondering if it would be possible to control the air damper (rather than the compressor)? In other words, let the freezer be as cold as it needs to be, but only open the damper as needed to maintain temps in the fridge in the mid-60s.

Not sure if it could be done with a top freezer style fridge but what I (and others) have done with a side by side is a fan of some sort controlled by something like an STC-1000 blowing air over from the freezer side to the "fridge" side. I have something like this over the fan outlet to keep cold air from flowing back into the freezer, it opens when the fan comes on.

caveat: I'm using the freezer side as a kegerator so I don't know if I could keep that side at "real" freezer temps, but it handles holding serving temperatures and keeping the "fridge" side at whatever fermentation temp I'm trying to reach (so far)

https://www.amazon.com/Deflecto-Sup...ocphy=9013478&hvtargid=pla-362545917557&psc=1

Latest posts

Back