Full Boil question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucaBrasi

Reaction score
Hey Guys-

I'm brand new to this hobby and can already see that I will be addicted very soon like the rest of you. I just purchased all of my equipment yesterday and plan for my first brew session this weekend. I bought a partial mash, English Nut Brown kit to try first. Here's my question:

The recipe calls for partial boil, but I'm going to do a full boil after reading about the benefits here. After I steep the grains and I add the additional water to bring to 6 gallons total (planning for 1 gallon of evaporation), do I need to bring the pot to a boil BEFORE I add the malt extract? I have both Dry Malt and Canned Malt Extact to be added. I'm simply wondering if the 6 gallons needs to be in a full boil before I add the malt extract.

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get started.

Bring your water volume to a boil first so the extract will dissolve much quicker.

Once you're boiling, turn off your burner or move your pot off the fire(you'll want to remove from fire so you don't carmelize your extract), stir in your extract until completely disolved and then place back onto flame and boil for the appropriate amount of time following the recipe instructions.

+1 on bringing it to a boil, remove from heat and stir in extract, then return to a boil. Just make sure your stove can bring 6 gallons to a boil...unless you have a propane burner. Good luck!

Thanks guys. Yep, I have a propane burner that i picked up with the brew kettle yesterday, so I'm all set. Thanks for your help!

Back