Frustrated... Need Answers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSURaider41

Reaction score
Brewed a Mackeson's XXX Stout clone for my buddy today. I am getting frustrated... the past couple kits that I have done I have missed the OG by .01 or more. However, it always ends up that I miss the FG by .01 or more also. So it isn't like I'm totally botching it, it's just that I end up closer to the FG of water.

I can't believe that that is a good thing. Do you think this is due to too much water in the boil? Or too much water in the fermenter before fermentation?

Its not from too much water in the boil, unless you're starting with 8 gallons or something!

Do you top up with water to 5 gallons in the fermenter? Are you sure your 5 gallon marking is correct (mine is not). How do you take the SG readings? When the fermentation is done, what's a typical SG for you?

Have you checked the hydrometer by measuring plain water? Plain water should read 1.000.

Maybe i missed something, but being off by .01 is such a small amount. I dont understand why you are concerned.

Yes,

.01 is dead on. Believe it or not. You can't hardly read the hydrometer that close.

Strike that... How are you doing your waer calcs?

What is your recipe and final gravity, light ales at 1.008 are *beer*.

True. .01 is not any concern. Is this what you meant?In reality your beer percentage would be say you had 5.1% abv then maybe 5.2,or 5.0%. its nothing really.And your hydrometer may be off or even did you give the +- @60 degrees adjustment for your og?

Thanks for all the information. Your statements have made me realize that I have been forgetting to factor in the temperature changes.

My 5 gallon mark was the mark that came on my Ale Pail with the kit. I have been following that mark.

I have been following the directions given to me by Austin Homebrew. They always say to top off to 5.25 gallons. So I do that.

I think I am just overreacting to my misreadings because my past brew did not turn out as good as I had hoped.

Yes,

.01 is dead on. Believe it or not. You can't hardly read the hydrometer that close.

Strike that... How are you doing your waer calcs?

What is your recipe and final gravity, light ales at 1.008 are *beer*.

True. .01 is not any concern. Is this what you meant?In reality your beer percentage would be say you had 5.1% abv then maybe 5.2,or 5.0%. its nothing really.And your hydrometer may be off or even did you give the +- @60 degrees adjustment for your og?

You guys------- .010 is a HUGE difference. It's the difference between 1.020 (safe to bottle) and 1.030 (bottle bombs).

Maybe you're talking about .001 being a very small difference?

whoops,sorry yeah.Yoopers right. brainfart here.
Sounds like your topping off is giving you inaccurate readings which is normal because it doesnt mix well at first untill the yeasts have their way with the sugar.Giving you a false og also. As for your fg make shure your giving a 3 day check to see if it drops before botteling or give it 3-4 weeks for a average gravity ale before botteling.

Thank you Yooper. Is it something to be concerned about if it is off by .01 on each end? If I'm for my OG I am at 1.046 instead of 1.056, and end with an FG at 1.01 instead of 1.02? They both fluctuate by .01 on each end and are theoretically the same distance apart.

Thank you Yooper. Is it something to be concerned about if it is off by .01 on each end? If I'm for my OG I am at 1.046 instead of 1.056, and end with an FG at 1.01 instead of 1.02? They both fluctuate by .01 on each end and are theoretically the same distance apart.

Yes, maybe it is a reason to worry. Not because of the OG, really. I mean, no matter what the OG reading is the sugars in the extract are all there, and can't disappear. So, check the water volume on your fermenter by adding a gallon at a time, and marking the outside with a marker to make sure your 5 gallons really IS 5 gallons.

Then, I'd check the hydrometer in plain water. If it's off by .010, maybe the paper inside the hydrometer slipped and it's just off which means it's ok if you remember to make that adjustment when you use it! But if it's right on, you may have to start thinking about why the FG is so far off.

Well at least you know a 1.01 is safer to bottle than a 1.02. At least for now.

Yes, maybe it is a reason to worry. Not because of the OG, really. I mean, no matter what the OG reading is the sugars in the extract are all there, and can't disappear. So, check the water volume on your fermenter by adding a gallon at a time, and marking the outside with a marker to make sure your 5 gallons really IS 5 gallons.

Then, I'd check the hydrometer in plain water. If it's off by .010, maybe the paper inside the hydrometer slipped and it's just off which means it's ok if you remember to make that adjustment when you use it! But if it's right on, you may have to start thinking about why the FG is so far off.

Will you come work for me at my store!!! Please!!!
Yoop is dead on!
Cheers
Jay

Back