Fruity Wheat Design Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kesslerr1

Reaction score
Hi yall I'm looking for some input on a hoppy fruity wheat I’m making. I’m looking for light colored, medium body, tons of fruity/estery (banana citrusy) flavors and low bitterness. I am thinking about using 1 oz Amarillo and 1 oz Citra hops with a first worth addition and a continuous flavor and aroma hop addition. I’m skipping bittering hops as I think the first wort addition will give me all the bitterness and I’m not looking for a biting bitterness. Does that sound reasonable? I plan to use wyeast 3638 Bavarian wheat yeast, but am open to any suggestions of other yeast.

6# wheat
6# American 2 row
12 oz Cara-pils
Mash at 153 for a little body

0.25 oz Amarillo First wort
0.25 oz Citra first wort
0.075 oz of both Amarillo and Citra added every min from 15-flame out
Orange zest from one orange and Irish moss at 15

Under pitch wyeast 3638 Bavarian wheat yeast fermenting at low 70s to bring out more banana

Any suggestions of how I can bring out a well rounded fruity flavor to this beer will be appreciated
:ban: :ban: :ban:

I think your recipe fits your brewing goals. Although I've not use that yeast, the quick read on the Wyeast website confirms your choices of yest, temp, etc.

For me personally, I usually try to minimize the banana character and ferment very low with Bavarian yeasts. I just feel that banana can overpower so quickly. But, that really depends on your experience with the yeast.

For you, fermenting on the higher range would favor ester production. The under-pitching to stress the yeast to produce more banana-flavors is for folks who really like that sort of thing.

Sounds delicious either way! Please post an update once it is served!
--LexusChris

I might do Munich in place of your carapils. I'm not familiar with that strain of yeast in particular, but I know white labs hefe 3 yeast is super banana-y. I'm not sure if they're the same strain or what have you. And if you're into repitching, I can tell you it will get spicier and more complex a few generations in.

Thanks for the feed back Yall. Local home brew shop is out of Amarillo so I might subtitle with Motueka. This is a beer I plan on making several times, playing with slightly different hops and mash temps. I do wash my yeast. I will have to make this again and see where 2-3 generations down the line take this beer.

Latest posts

Back