Fruity beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaltonBrewer

Reaction score
Just tasted my first batch and there are no detectable off flavors except it is very fruity? American ale style with Og 1.057 fg 1.013 amarillo hops 40 IBU's. It is about 2.5 weeks since brewing. I used Safale US-05 and was hoping it was cleaner. Is it too young? Any thoughts appreciated?

What was the hop schedule like? If you used a considerable amount of amarillo it could be from the hops. I make my pale ale with simcoe and amarillo and it has a really nice piney and fruity nose, but thats what I was going for.

Fermented at 60 degrees
I used one package of dry Safale us-05
Yes I rehydrated prior to pitch in one cup boiled water
Racked into keg when fermentation stopped 1.013 fg from primary fermented approximate 11 days.

I pulled one glass and dumped it then poured another for the first taste.
Fruit taste like apricot.

Its possible that the beer is young (because it is), but its also possible that the amarillo is adding a fruity note. I find it pleasant in mine, but I used a lot more, so it is more defined.

some people claim they get peach from S-05 at low temps, so maybe thats what you got. IIRC, it fades with time tho

some people claim they get peach from S-05 at low temps, so maybe thats what you got. IIRC, it fades with time tho

That's my thought, too. It hasn't happened to me, because I use S05 just a bit warmer (like at 64 degrees) but others have mentioned that fermenting below 64 degrees causes some "peachy" esters from S05. Just a thought!

Back