Fruited Saison: Add to Secondary or Damn the Torpedos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayDubWill

Reaction score
I'm curious what the modern thinking is on how to add fruit to beers. I have a saison that is at 1.006 and I would like to add cranberry's to it and a pound of honey. I don't make many fruit beers but when I do, I have always racked the beer onto the fruit. This is a method I'm sure we've all read in countless articles and done plenty of times, but is it necessary? What if I went full speed ahead and tossed the cranberry/honey puree right into the primary? Anybody have experience doing this with a fruit beer? What was the result?

I suppose you could. That's how I dry hop but when I add fruit I dump the fruit/puree into a new carboy and rack on top so that it mixes well. Now as I read this I wonder which way may introduce more oxygen into the beer for either method.

I decided to go the traditional secondary route, mainly because it's easy. Fermentation kicked off again within a few hours.

Back