Fruit Spoiling durring primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobSeibel

Reaction score
I'm am seeing a lot of different information on how long primary fermentation lasts... and that one would not want to rack before primary fermentation is completed.

I have also found that time is meads best friend and that I should just leave my carboy alone for a month or two and not worry about it.

However I am concerned about the organic matter that I have added spoiling and ruining the batch (1 carton of strawberries, 1/2 lime, and 7oz of ginger root)

Is this a valid concern or should i just let it sit?

I appreciate any advice in advance! Thanks!

Some back round...

I am 13days in and have approximately one bubble every 10 sec coming out of my one way valve

my current plan is to rack tomorrow and to add a cup of cranberry cocktail to help along any left over yeast as well as avoid adding any O2 (I'm utilizing a fast rack system)

Thanks
Bob

Fruit will rot over time. When I add fruit to wine or mead, I generally remove the fruit (if it's in a mesh bag), or rack off of the fruit in 5-7 days or so. Also, any place where the fruit is up out of the liquid, it can grow mold, so it's important to stir the fruit down and break up any "cap" that forms during primary.

So I racked today,the fast rack conical worked great.

However pre racking I was getting one bubble every 10sec... post rack only one bubble ever 30sec... did i screw up?

What I racked off tastes pretty booze to me but my palate isn't refined enough to be sure.

also IIIIIIII'm dumb... used whole cinnamon sticks which are now stuck in the collection bulb... does anyone have recommendation on how to remove them... does anything dissolve cinnamon sticks?

Thanks!

10395190_2776521014576_6098205989011368304_n.jpg

Back