Fruit promotes clearing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgardfr

Reaction score
Hello everybody, this is my first post on the forum. I have been reading it for about a year already but something odd happened to my most recent mead and I wanted to share it with you and get to know your experiences and opinions.

About a month ago I started a braggot (target ABV 9%, more mead than beer as the fermentables from the grain were very little in comparison with the honey). After primary fermentation was done, I racked and split the batch in two:
Batch A: Simple braggot (no additions)
Batch B: Cherry braggot (I added frozen cherries).

20 days after the racking it is remarkable how clear the cherry braggot is in comparison with the simple braggot.
I found this really odd because, if any, i tought the addition of fruit would worsen the clearing. I've read somewhere that for examples strawberries were particularly difficult in this regard. Is there maybe something in cherries that make them good for clearing? Maybe is the effect of some pesticides or additives?

Anyways, I'd like to see your thoughts and whether you've had a similar experience.
P.S.: Both braggots are still young but smell amazing.

More details about the recipe (total of 10lts):
First, I made a wort of about 3.5 liters after the boil with
700g pilsner
250g vienna
50g caramel pale
Mash at 72-75C, I used bottled water, I took note of the brand but don't remember the chemistry
90 min boil with 2g of Saaz (13min) and 12g of black Assam tea (5 min).

Then.
1.7kg of chestnut honey (I mixed it with some room temperature water and aerated it, I mixed it in with the chilled beer and completed the volume with more water)
8g of Lallemand Nothingam yeast rehydrated as per instructions and pitched at 30C.
During primary fermentation, room temperature was between 18 and 21C.

Additions in secondary to the cherry braggot (5lts sub-batch)
300g of packaged organic frozen cherries thawed
300g of fresh seasonal cherries (previously frozen and thawed)

Once split, I kept the two braggots in the same place, at the same temperature at identical carboys with identical airlocks with the same headspace (although the liquid volume differed due to the volume filled by the fruits)

The rationale for this recipe was, more than making a braggot was to get the richness, body, some residual sweetness (and hopefully a nice head) from the malt but having predominantly a mead character. I didn't want it to be hoppy neither (I was going to leave them out entirely but finally I decided to put just a bit) and I used black tea as a "substitute"

Hi edgardfr - and welcome. This is quite fascinating. I wonder if the added acidity from the cherries may have had anything to do with the difference in clarity?

I'm always amazed at how well a classic JAOM clears on its own. I wonder if the presence of orange has anything to do with it. Though it does take a couple months to finish.

I'm always amazed at how well a classic JAOM clears on its own. I wonder if the presence of orange has anything to do with it. Though it does take a couple months to finish.
I always wondered that about the JAOM myself.

Citrus or acid helping the clarity might be something to look into, that blood orange Melomel I made has been sitting for about 2 months now and hasn't dropped anything else. Crystal clear in about 2-3 weeks from primary.

Same thoughts with JAOM, love watching it drop in one consistent layer for a few days. Bottle at 2 months after it's cleared and at a year I might have 2 bottles with a sedimentary layer. Most likely the last 2 I bottled and got to close to the bottom.

Citrus or acid helping the clarity might be something to look into, that blood orange Melomel I made has been sitting for about 2 months now and hasn't dropped anything else. Crystal clear in about 2-3 weeks from primary.

Same thoughts with JAOM, love watching it drop in one consistent layer for a few days. Bottle at 2 months after it's cleared and at a year I might have 2 bottles with a sedimentary layer. Most likely the last 2 I bottled and got to close to the bottom.
That batch that I did back in March with the blood oranges was looking pretty good @ last glance, almost clear. It was essentially a JAOM, but, knowing it's NOT by the recipe, I can't really call it a JAOM, soooo, I named it DABOM (Dan's ancient blood orange mead) 😁. The changes were
1. I used blood oranges
2. I used no pith, just about 1/2 of the zest, with the other half in reserve in the freezer until I taste it again so see if it needs more zesty flavor.
3. The multiple varieties of honeys that were used...I think 5 different honeys were used.
The last time I took a reading it was 1.017 & mighty tasty. I have yet to do a JAOM by the recipe (I believe the recipe calls for clover honey), but, I have enough clover honey on hand now to do my first 5 gallon batch. (Coming soon to a thread near you)😋😄
I love this hobby!
Happy meading 😎

On
Hi edgardfr - and welcome. This is quite fascinating. I wonder if the added acidity from the cherries may have had anything to do with the difference in clarity?

This thing you and others comment about the acidity might be right. I tried to find some information about it without luck so I tested empirically adding a few drops of lemon juice to the plain braggot (sadly didn't followed the scientific method because I also added half a cup of a strong black tea). That was on Sunday and today it's already Crystal clear even though I moved around the carboy quite a bit.
Before/after photos
First picture:Before (plain braggot on the left)
Second picture: after (plain braggot on the right)

before: plain on the left
after: plain on the right

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back