Fruit press wooden basket.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stealthcruiser

Reaction score
IMG_0652 (Small).JPG
IMG_0653 (Small).JPG
I have a Berarducci Brothers fruit press I've refurbished, and would like to know:

On the new wood slats I made for the basket, leave them bare, or treat them with a sealer?
I don't want to oil them, ( I don't think?), lest it possibly carry over / affect future squeezin's.

The wood I used is Maple, variety unknown, but well aged and dry, and hard as Woodpecker lips.

If I can get a pic to post on this "more friendly" HBT forum upgrade, I will.

Last edited:
Mine is old (vintage) and I don’t do anything to mine, but they guy I got it from said there is some sort of fruit press sealer to use on it. I forget the details, but it’s a sealer/varnish type finish that is specifically made for basket presses. I wouldn’t use anything that isn’t food safe of course.

Mine is old (vintage) and I don’t do anything to mine, but they guy I got it from said there is some sort of fruit press sealer to use on it.

Is he still alive, so you could ask him?........:rolleyes:

I'm thinkin', if I leave them bare.........What's gonna' happen, other than soak up juice?

Will it kill the wood in short order?

I personally can't see it storing enough of a previous squeeze, to affect a subsequent squeeze, flavor wise.

Next thought........Bacteria........A thought on that, is that the yeast next pitched, will handle it?......

I'm sure, that when it was used in a previous life, it prolly' had zero on it for a sealer.

But I'll be standing by for guidance, before I be "pressing", ( see that?), into service.........

Give it up, you Wino's !

Back