Materials for wood cider press

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocbrewer

Reaction score
Last year, I built a cider press. I've got decent wood fabrication skills, but my knowledge of where to procure and how to deal with metals is... well, not a lot.

My chief problem is the force of the pomace (in a mesh bag) pressing outward when the press applies pressure. When I started, I went through a few food-grade buckets (with holes) which literally burst under the pressure. I figured that I might as well go traditional and use wood slats. So, I put together a basket made of maple slats. To deal with the force, I used some thin SS straps and some extra plastic zip ties. Needless to say, this was still not sufficient and one of the metal straps snapped.

So, here's my question:
Where does one obtain food-grade (304?) stainless steel in a relatively thin strap that will hold the basket together even with a fair bit of force pressing outward? Unsurprisingly, the major hardware stores don't carry anything of the sort.

If you have solved this kind of problem some other food-safe way, I'd be interested in hearing about it (cabling, hdpe straps, aluminum?).

press.jpg

Reconsider your problem. If you pulverize the apples further, the juice will run on less pressure.

What are you using as a scratter?

Without trying to sound like a jerk your press looks terrible. I don't want to sound mean but there was no way that could be adequate. Please, no hard feelings. Nothing personal.

You may want to reconsider what alloys of steel you may use. Find out what alloy you would like, then find it in McMaster Carr. Call up your local fabrication shop and ask them what the thickest piece of flatstock is that they can roll. Order enough 2" wide flatstock of whatever thickness the shop designated. Have them roll it into whatever diameter you need and mig weld the ends. Have two made. Drill the holes, and finish it up. Then press whatever you want.

You may even want to make a template out of plywood for the fabrication shop. Say your barrel is 12" then cut a 12" circle for them to compare it to.

1/8" HDPE is much easier to work with than stainless. Stainless pan head screws work for securing it to the staves.

Wouldn't that be horribly inadequate?

To the OP: You've inspired me now to build a fruit press from a shop press :)

Would it work to buy a thick stainless kettle and drill a bunch of holes in it for the juice to flow out?

No offense taken. In what respect do you mean inadequate, though? Obviously, the basket needs to be held together with something better. But did you mean more than that?

Without trying to sound like a jerk your press looks terrible. I don't want to sound mean but there was no way that could be adequate. Please, no hard feelings. Nothing personal.

Interesting - it looks like they are using a rack-and-cloth pressing system that keeps outward pressure down,and apparently HDPE is a lot stronger than I gave it credit for.

The pressing discs aren't really necessary. I don't even use the "barrel" for mine. A better grind will do 50% of the work and I can't recommend using a disposal as a grinder highly enough!

Back