Alternative Sugar Beer Fruit Loops Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epimetheus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Safale 05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 54F
Tasting Notes
Aging 3 weeks brings out the full bouquet of the artificial flavors. Nasty.
Note this uses a store brand cereal and does not use the proprietary name "Froot Loops"

Is it possible to capture the essential artificial flavors and sweetness of fruit loops cereal? I finally threw together a small extract batch to test it. This is purposefully lower alcohol and low bitterness to feature the delicate flavor of the fruit cereal.

Fruit Loops Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.13 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.25 gal
Bottling Volume after filtering out most of the cereal: 3.0 gal

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L
2 lbs 9 oz Extra Light Dry Extract
1 lbs Candy Loops Breakfast Cereal
0.50 oz Cascade [8.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.0 pkg Safale American

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out

The cereal was added at the beginning of the boil, expecting it to break apart. The most disturbing part was most of the loops stayed whole after 60 minutes of boiling and the few that slipped into the fermenter were still whole after two weeks. The mushy loops took on the green color of the hops and the final beer had a slightly green tinge.

Tasting notes

Tasted after 1, 2, 3, and 4 weeks in the bottle. The first week was a very plain green (immature) beer. The second week was similarly indistinct. The beer has a green, cloudy tinge from the cereal bits that would not settle out. The sludge at the bottom of the bottle was the color of old moss.

Rather bizarre, a few loops made it through the bottling process and were still whole past 4 weeks, drifting around the glass like soggy green life preservers. Food is not supposed to survive that long.

By the third and certainly the fourth week, the batch took on a distinct chemical flavor that was nothing like the achingly sweet cereal.

Now you can stop wondering what beer would be like made with fruit loops, fruity rice puffs, and other super-sweetened artificially flavored cereal.

It is nasty.

Glad you're here to boldly go where no other homebrewer would go. For what it's worth, I don't think I'd ever had the thought "I wonder what this would be like as beer?" while eating a bowl of fruit loops. So, you're a level up on creativity from me also. :)

I know I have often wondered if something like this would work, esp. with certain hops' descriptions saying "tastes like Fruity Pebbles or Froot Loops."

I still plan on making an Irish red and dry-cerealing it with Honey Smacks.

Someday.

:)

Back