Fruit in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daedalus

Reaction score
When fruiting (new verb?) your beer do you boil or sanitize it somehow before putting it in your carboy? Say you've got a can of fruit puree. Do you prep it in anyway?

Also when fruiting, you can expect more fruity flavor correct?

:drunk:

I do not boil - it can make for a hazy beer. With canned puree, make sure there is nothing else added or you might get funky flavours.

I have assumed that the alcohol in the beer will prevent nasties from taking hold. However, i understand that a campden tablet crushed and mixed with the fruit can clean things up, too.

B

The washington puree really is the best option. If you're going with whole fruit, though, it's not a bad idea to blanche them - just a quick boil, then a rapid cool.

I have added Strawberries to a second with no prep and the beer was one of the best I've made. I got them frozen from the store.

I am planning on adding fresh apricots to my second this week. Im going to puree them in a food processor and and pour in no prep or sanitizing, just a simple wash under a faucet. I know I'm probably going to get killed by everyone on here for not sanitizing but I haven't had any issues. The guy at my LHBS said he has never had a problem adding fresh fruit. Cut it up add it, let sit for a few weeks, bottle and drink.

As for canned the only thing i would worry about is preservatives that might add off flavors.

You will absolutely get a fruity favor I add about 3lb per batch....seems to work for me.

I also added Strawberries to secondary in a mesh bag...I cleaned and half them a couple days ahead of time and froze them for 48 hours....That beer is in the kegorator now and is excellent!

Back