Fruit fly remedy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonRunkel

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for this, and if not, please redirect me, but my buddy came up with a fruit fly killing cocktail.
Basically its a bowl of Apple juice, Apple vinegar and soap (to break tye surface tension of the death cocktail)
it works pretty well, but im not sure if the fruit flies will want this more than the deliciousness that is wort.

Hope it helps
Von Runkel.

My biggest problem with fruit flies used to be them getting into my starters (since I use a foil top instead of an airlock). I combatted this problem by rubberbanding a sanitized coffee filter to my starter jugs before topping with foil. This way the starters can still breathe, but fruit flies can't get it. Works great.

Apple Cider vinegar in a jar with a paper cone tunnel works very well. The flies love it and once they drop in they don't get out.

If they're swarming up around your fermenters, the vacuum cleaner is your best friend. Just use the hose with no attachment on it and suck 'em right of of the air. Takes about 30 seconds and they're GONE.

If they're swarming up around your fermenters, the vacuum cleaner is your best friend. Just use the hose with no attachment on it and suck 'em right of of the air. Takes about 30 seconds and they're GONE.

+1

I had an infestation recently. I got the majority with a shop vac. The stragglers got caught up in the death mixture.

Back