Fruit fly infestation in grain bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I have a fruit fly infestation In my house.I finally found the source.An open 50# bag of grain that's been sittin in the corner forever.They were on the outside of the bag and tons inside the grain itself...nasty.The bag has never gotten wet and has been sitting in the corner since I bought it.(inside in my never used dining room/storage room)
So that went immediately outside.Theres a ton of dead ones on the floor.

My question is I have 2 open 50# bags of grain in the same room 8 ft away.There new bags I bought within the last 2 months.They've been rolled up to keep out dust.I see no bugs inside but who knows,theres still a lot of grain in them....Should I continue using them??? Theres a sh*t ton of fruit flies in that room.
The once boiled there just extra protein idea doesn't work with me
First thing in the morning is a trip to buy 5 gallon buckets for storage and disinfect the room

I keep all my grain in food grade 6 gallon buckets with the screw on lids. Peace of mind. Fruit flies are small and probably hard to see in the grain. I bet boiling would kills anything but who knows. Your call but I would probably error on the side of caution and toss it in the compost pile.

I would use it.

I'd take the bags outside to weigh out the amounts, you'll get rid of a lot of the flies there already, so they don't end up in your home.

If the idea of any (fruit) flies in your mash/wort/beer grose you out, before you mill run your hands or a large spoon through your weighing bucket or pour back and forth a few times. That should remove the ones that are hiding.

Regular (house) flies annoy me and do grose me out, but fruit flies, wasps, etc, don't. I think (or believe) they're much cleaner.

Now I did have a small weevil infestation once, that I luckily contained, but they had eaten all the grain in the infested (paper) bags. The "grain" was literally crawling, you could hear them rustling. I tossed those bags, as I didn't want to do an extended bug-protein rest. ;)

Morning bump before I toss 65#'s of grain.
What would you do?

It seems logical to think something in or on the infested bag had something to attract the flys. Dry grain isn't something they generally want. I understand you are concerned with the bacteria they can spread, however the boil will pasteurize anything that might survive the mash. So I would use it. I'd also follow through with a move to more protective storage. My 2cents

It seems logical to think something in or on the infested bag had something to attract the flys. Dry grain isn't something they generally want. I understand you are concerned with the bacteria they can spread, however the boil will pasteurize anything that might survive the mash. So I would use it. I'd also follow through with a move to more protective storage. My 2cents
That room is where I store all my beer stuff and where my bar is.I'm sure between the drip tray,kegs ETC that's where they started.I looked up fruit flies and I/m sure they went into the grain to lay eggs and that's why theres so many in the bag.That bag is in the trash,Ill continue looking in the other bags for the next few days.If I don't see any flies Ill use the grain

Now I did have a small weevil infestation once, that I luckily contained, but they had eaten all the grain in the infested (paper) bags. The "grain" was literally crawling, you could hear them rustling. I tossed those bags, as I didn't want to do an extended bug-protein rest. ;)

I can still recall the first time I saw my mother sifting those little bugs out of the flour for what ever she was baking. I was remarking "Ewe you're going to use that?" And she said "Yes, I'm not throwing out half a bag of flour because of a few piss ants!" Then added the heat will kill off any missed and it's just extra protein etc. LOL

Back