Fruit Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMac0284

Reaction score
Im curious to know exactly how much fruit extract to use? Im using an apricot flavoring. Im looking to mimic a magic hat #9 flavor. All I want is just a hint of fruit similar to #9. How many ozs. per 5 gal batch?

I ordered a clone from AHS recently.. just brewed it on Thursday. It came with 3 ounces of apricot extract. I've read good things about their clone, so I would guess it is pretty close to what should be used for 5 gallons.

I've made several batches of #9; when I buy extract locally it comes in 4oz bottles.
I have made it using 3ozs, but now I just put all 4 in...

I don't like the extracts sold. I would rather make a f-pac like in winemaking and add to MY taste.
I recently made a Rasp/Wheat after racking to secondary I added 3#'s of frozed raspberries. Now was a grat tasting brew.
How much extract to add? Start at what above states then taste. If you feel you need more then add.

I keg, so I always start with 2oz of extract. You can always add more.

Just kegged my Sunset Wheat clone and it is pretty good. SWMBO will probably take it away from me. 2oz of Blueberry extract did it good.

:rockin:

I have brewed many beers using extracts or liqueurs to prime.

Here's what you do. Buy a bottle of the commercial beer which is similar to what you're trying to make. For #9 I would suggest a bottle of cat piss...haha jk. Anyways, take out a half teaspoon measure and add until you achieve the desired flavor. Then multiply it out to fit your batch size.

This method works 100% of the time. Don't assume anything with adding flavors to your beers. Also, make sure to take MULTIPLE sips to make sure you genuinely like the flavor. And remember, too little is a hell of a lot better than too much. The first time you have to pour 30 bombs down the drain, you'll REALLY understand. :(

Back