Fruit beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason81

Reaction score
Does anyone just prime with fruit juice to get some fruit flavor in beer? I would think this would be an easy alternative to having to peel tons of fruit and deal with the Carboy mess after. Also does anyone have any experience with adding kiwi or grapefruit? I've been thinking about doing a Ipa or pale with grapefruit and Maby a kiwi wheat.

The first batch I ever made was a Texas blonde that I tried to put kiwi in. I blended 10 fairly hard/sour kiwis (I was slightly clueless), put that in a hop bag, and put that in the wort for the last 10 minutes. It did make the beer taste a little more sour/wine-like but I'd obviously do it differently next time.

In a week or so I'll be adding 15 kiwis to a red ipa that'll be going to secondary. I'm looking at freezing them but haven't decided if I'll do anything else after that. I'd be happy to keep you updated & provide pics if you'd find it useful.

I've used Kiwi before in a pale ale recipe. Added about 4 pounds of peeled and cubed fruit at flameout, then transfered it with the wort to the primary after cooling. Turned out a bit on the sour side, but I loved it.

I'm planning on making a Banana Hefeweizen next. From my understanding I think I need to boil and mush up the bananas then place them into the primary fermenter.

I've always thought you need to ferment with the fruit as apposed to adding it in the wert. But I'm still a novice at brewing so I may be wrong.

Back