Fruit beer, size of carboy for secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoe25027

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm sure this has been answered but I can't seem to find it so here goes:

My next beer will be made with peaches. I plan to mash up 4-6 lbs of frozen precut peaches, place them in a carboy and rack on top of them. I have a 6.5 gallon carboy already but should I go with a smaller size to cut out headspace or am I going to end up kicking back into a strong fermentation from the peach sugars. I feel like a 5 ga would be too small after adding the bulk of the peaches so I'm thinking it would just be a choice btwn a 6 and a 6.5 gallon. Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Collin

I do all my fruit additions in a bucket. You will not enjoy trying to clean that carboy after racking off the fruit.

I do all my fruit additions in a bucket. You will not enjoy trying to clean that carboy after racking off the fruit.

+1 on the bucket. I did 4 lbs of strawberry and 2 lbs of rhubarb in a Belgian blond and after seeing the mess in the bottom I was glad I used a bucket and not a carboy. I would not have wanted to try and get that mess out of a little hole in the top.

+1 on the bucket. I did 4 lbs of strawberry and 2 lbs of rhubarb in a Belgian blond and after seeing the mess in the bottom I was glad I used a bucket and not a carboy. I would not have wanted to try and get that mess out of a little hole in the top.

Wow, that sounds really delicious, how did it turn out?

Wow, that sounds really delicious, how did it turn out?

It's has only been bottled about 4 weeks, but so far it is OK. The strawberry is not quite were I'd like it to be. The rhubarb came through fine, but the strawberry is a little weak. I'm going to give it another few weeks before I pass final judgment. It's definitely drinkable, but just not quite what I envisioned.

Sorry, I'm still averse to using plastic. I use a 5 gallon carboy for fruit in my secondary. Haven't had a real bad issue with cleaning it up, and you don't really build up a big krausen in secondary.

I was wondering about racking onto the fruit in the secondary as well, so 5 gal is sufficient? I'm kinda worried about losing a bulk of my beer to a strawberry explosion in the secondary.

Also if using 5 gal for secondary is sufficient would using 6.5 be detrimental? causing harmful oxidizing or anything if beer is fermenting in there for a few weeks?

Using a 6.5 gal is fine; i used a 6.5 gallon for a strawberry blond and had no issues. The beer sat on 7lbs of berries for a week.

The strawberries won't soak up much of the beer. I transferred to a tertiary after sitting on the berries and let the yeast clean up the beer for another week. Since i transferred to a tertiary this allowed me to actually pour the remaining beer left in the secondary that was left behind from the auto siphon.

When I bottled I had exactly 47 bottles. Good luck!

I use a 6.5gal primary, rack onto the fruit in a 6.5gal secondary and then into a 5gal bright tank to get rid of chunks of fruit. That's the only time I really use a bright tank at all.

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of strawberry blonde. I recently racked the 5 gallons onto 8# of frozen strawberries and it filled my 6.5 gallon bucket to the brim. Dont underestimate how much space your fruit will take up, i havent had any problems with excessive fermentation after 4 days in there so hopefully i am homefree.:ban:

alright I've been reading up on that strawberry blonde I think thats my recipe, once I get to portland (and hopefully have a place to stay) I'm a start on it. Worse come to worse I could always brew it in the storage unit im getting :D

So thanks for the tip everyone, I ended up using 6lb frozen peaches in an ale pail for ten days then added 5 grams of redstar champagne yeast right before bottling.

Three weeks after bottling I tried it-disgusting! It tasted like rotten fruit mixed with crappy beer! 4 weeks after that I got my beer fridge and placed it in there at around 34ish degrees. Tried another one a week after that, 8 weeks total, and it's fantastic! Not perfect but pretty dang good. The peach flavor and aroma are very light and the carbonation is a little high but very drinkable, especially for the summer! Of the three beers I've brewed this one has the most fans.

Cheers,
Collin

I've got that succulent strawberry blonde recipe in primary right now! Can't wait :rockin:

Back