Fruit Beer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valcarde

Reaction score
I have plans this weekend for finally sitting down and making my first beer; a hefeweizen from extract. I plan on adding some frozen raspberries to it eventually, knowing this should usually be done in a secondary. Is there a reason why it should be done in a secondary, and the fruit can't just be added to the primary fermentator once the fermentation is done, then left for a while? Or even added at the beginning of the brewing process? Is it due to fermentable sugars in the fruit?

I just brewed a blueberry wheat. After primary fermentation was done, I added 4lbs of frozen/crushed blueberries right into the primary fermenter. I left the beer on the fruit for 5 days, then racked to a secondary to settle out ant skins etc that I racked off with it. Its still in secondary right now, but needs to be racked over to a keg.

Good Luck!

(BTW I ended up loosing approx a gallon of beer racking to secondary. I kept loosing a siphon due to all the blueberries!)

Latest posts

Back