fruit beer help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremybmx10

Reaction score
so i am starting a stawberry blond (beer is in its primary) and a blueberry wheat (also in primary) but i was wondering i want to dry hop the beers with my fruit! i was thinking 1lb/gal but for how long and how to i do it is the question?:S wont it cause an infection :S thanks for the help!:D

Both of those berries should be pretty straight forward to just wash thoroughly and throw in. Strawberries would probably benefit from being halved if they are big ones. I would do your fruit first in the primary and then transfer off and dry hop. At 1# per gallon you will need to be using a bucket, I highly doubt that much fruit will fit in a 6.5 gallon carboy with 5 gallons...the fruit swells up a lot.

As an extra precaution i usually spray my fruit down with some starsan solution before i throw them in.

agreed, dump the fruit in the primary, then rack to secondary to clear with hops included. should be fine with that

will i get a bit of fruit taste or none at all and just tartness? and alot of sites say to do secondary for 7 days and rack to another carboy for another 7 to clear would that work?

The only way you would get a tart flavor is if the fruit you are using has a tart flavor or if you get a bacterial infection and lactic acid or some other acid is formed. I would say add 1/2# per gallon, let it set for a few days, then draw a sample and taste it. Add more if it's not enough for you. That's the great thing about beer, you can make it taste however you want. You just have to experiment a bit. It all depends on what YOU want.

Back