Fructose for priming...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale1

Reaction score
Hey hey gang-

So i've got a few batches under my belt, but i'm still defenitly a newbe. I work alot with Brooklyn Brew Shop kit bags and recipie book. I've got thier Summer Wheat ready to bottle but i'm trying to mix things up a bit... at least with the carb. While i've never had a bottle bomb yet, but carbing has been hit and miss...so my wife picked up some Fructose from a near by grociery store and, while i know there are a lot of factors, i'm just looking for a rule of thumb on how much to use to have a safe, carbanated beer. I'm often gone for a long time, and some times unexpectedly so cold crashing is not an option. It should also be noted that i am only doing gal. batches, and that this recipie origanaly called to prime with about a table spoon of honey. So, most basic way to ask ; 1 table spoon of honey = how much fructose?

i'm trying to mix things up a bit... at least with the carb.

IMO, carbing isn't really a good place to "mix things up a bit".

Corn sugar, DME or table (100% cane) sugar are safe bets and easy to measure (by weight if possible).

I haven't noticed fructose as an option on any of the priming calculators.

I suspect that by weight, sucrose, vs glucose vs fructose is not going to make a big difference in the amount of carbonation.

looking at the online calculators, about 1.1 oz should give you a good carb. level for a wheat

Back