frozen PET jug cooling and Iodophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhatchable

Reaction score
I have my 5 gallon batch in a rubbermaid container that i rotate 1/2 gallon frozen jugs into. I have had pretty good luck with this, maintaining 66-68 according to a floating thermometer, but My water gets cloudy looking in three days or so and it takes me a day after I change it to get it back to homeostasis. I've had the beer spike to 70 for that 24 hour period, not much fluctuation, but I still don't like it.
So now for my question, i have been adding iodophor into the water tub now and notice it staying fresher looking for longer. having my fermentor sitting in iodophor solution isn't going to somehow affect my beer, ie diffusion of iodine through the pail or anything?

My Iodophor does not leak out of the plastic bottle it came in. It will probably stain the outside, but its not wont to get into your beer.

you may want to try some bleach in the water instead of the iodophor to avoid the staining issues.

I'm not to worried about exterior staining. I have read that plastic pails do allow micro-diffusion of oxygen, just wanted to make sure that iodine wouldn't somehow creep through. from my understanding there are some slight problems occasionally with medicinal tastes stemming from iodophor, right?

+1 on the bleach. I used Iodophor (left over from sanitizing my bucket) but it seem to denature after a couple of days. The bleach lasts forever.

Back