Frozen kegerator and yeast stock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrheinous

Reaction score
I've never heard of an issue like this but I cut out the extra door shelving to all more kegs into the kegerator. This material I cut away was responsible for triggering the door light and apparently if the door light is left on it will keep the fridge running continuously. I forgot the tape down the sensor.

I thought I'd mention this for other peoples' sake.

So, frozen keg today and at least one jar of yeast slurry is frozen. At most, this has been for going on for ~24 hours - what's the damage?

Unopened yeast vials (since they are stored with glycerol IIRC) are still liquid.

I can deal with that. The jars at the bottom of the kegerator didn't freeze from what I can tell but the one on top with the keg certainly did, it was just US-05 though.

I can deal with that. The jars at the bottom of the kegerator didn't freeze from what I can tell but the one on top with the keg certainly did, it was just US-05 though.

I bet there are still enough yeast alive to salvage it but you will probably want to step it up before storing it again.

Back